Yahoo's "Your Voice Your Vote" debate in Iowa, Dec. 10, 2011
Debate in Iowa "Your Voice Your Vote", sponsored by the Des Moines Register, ABC News, Yahoo! News, and Republican Party of Iowa;
Moderated by George Stephanopoulos and Diane Sawyer.
The highlight of this debate was a $10,000 bet offered by Mitt Romney to Rick Perry, in an attempt by Romney to prove Perry wrong about RomneyCare being the model for national healthcare.
Democrats and Republicans alike are accusing Mitt Romney of being out of touch after he said during this weekend's debate that he would make a $10,000 bet with Rick Perry even as millions of Americans struggle to make ends meet in a troubled economy.
Romney shrugged off the comment Sunday -- but says he's been reminded he's not a good gambler.
"After the debate was over, Ann came up and gave me a kiss," Romney said, referring to his wife. "And she said, `there are a lot of things you do well. Betting isn't one of them.'"
Romney's bet -- for a sum that represents more than two months' salary for Americans with mid-range incomes --has ignited a discussion about whether Romney, a wealthy businessman whose worth is estimated at more than $200 million, is out of step with the challenges facing the millions of struggling or unemployed Americans who are having trouble providing for their families in an ailing economy.
"I would suggest to you that $10,000 is pocket change for Mitt," said Perry, the Texas governor, who was campaigning in Iowa on Sunday. "Having an extra $10,000 to throw down on a bet seems very out of the ordinary."
Source: OnTheIssues.org archives and Kasie Hunt on Bloomberg Businessweek
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Newt Gingrich: Don't bail out Freddie Mac & Fannie Mae; break them up.
Rick Perry: The federal reserve is at the root of a lot of our problems.
Ron Paul: Destroying our currency transfers wealth to the rich.
Families & Children|
Mitt Romney: Kids working in libraries is fine; don't change labor laws.
Newt Gingrich: Let poor kids work so they learn like middle class.
Rick Santorum: Promote the family as economic anchor point.
Newt Gingrich: Tell the truth: Palestinians are an "invented people".
Rick Perry: Cut Congress' pay in half & make them part-time.
Michele Bachmann: 2012 is our one shot to get rid of ObamaCare.
Mitt Romney: Return healthcare to states, under the 10th Amendment.
Mitt Romney: No FEDERAL individual mandate; but state mandate ok.
Newt Gingrich: HillaryCare mandate ok; ObamaCare mandate unconstitutional.
Rick Perry: ObamaCare is an abomination for this country.
Ron Paul: Government should not protect you from yourself.
Ron Paul: 17,000 troops for Baghdad embassy? Come home!
Principles & Values|
Ron Paul: Freedom is based on tolerance and non-violence.
Mitt Romney: Mining the moon costs too much.
Newt Gingrich: America should be in space, aggressively & entrepreneurially.
War & Peace|
Mitt Romney: Disagree with Israelis in private; stand with them in public.
Ron Paul: Let locals settle Israel-Palestine issue; no world police.
The above quotations are from Yahoo's "Your Voice Your Vote" debate in Iowa, Dec. 10, 2011.
- CNN Arizona debate (Feb. 22, 2012)
- CNN Florida debate (Jan. 26, 2012)
- CNN South Carolina debate (Jan. 19, 2012)
- Fox News South Carolina debate (Jan. 16, 2012)
- Meet the Press New Hampshire debate (Jan. 8, 2012)
- WMUR-New Hampshire debate (Jan. 7, 2012)
- Yahoo's "Your Voice Your Vote" debate (Dec. 10, 2011)
- CNN National Security debate (Nov. 22, 2011)
- S.C. foreign policy Debate (Nov. 12, 2011)
- Your-Money-Your-Vote Debate (Nov. 9, 2011)
- Cain vs. Gingirch head-to-head (Nov. 5, 2011)
- Las Vegas debate (Oct. 18, 2011)
- Dartmouth N.H. debate (Oct. 11, 2011)
- Orlando Google debate (Sept. 22, 2011)
- Tea Party debate (Sept. 12, 2011)
- American Jobs Act debate (Sept. 8, 2011)
- Reagan Library debate (Sept. 7, 2011)
- Iowa Straw Poll debate (Aug. 11, 2011)
- Twitter debate (July 21, 2011)
- St. Anselm NH debate (June 13, 2011)
- Faith & Freedom Conference (June 4, 2011)
- South Carolina debate (May 5, 2011)
- NRA Conference (May 1, 2011)
- CPAC Conference (Feb. 10, 2011)
- "The Hannity Primary" (Interviews 2011-2012)
- Interview with Green Party's Jill Stein (Dec. 21, 2011)