Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Columns and news articles in The Nation magazine
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from The Nation (number of quotes indicated):
- Abdul El-Sayed (1) Michigan Democratic candidate for Governor
- Alan Keyes (2) Republican
- Amy Klobuchar (1) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (2) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Barbara Lee (1) Democrat U.S. Rep California-13
- Ben Carson (2) HUD Secretary
- Bernie Sanders (7) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Brian Schatz (1) Democratic Jr Senator Hawaii
- Cory Booker (1) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Don Blankenship (1) Constitution Party candidate for President
- Elizabeth Warren (2) Massachusetts Senator
- Howie Hawkins (2) New York Green Party Presidential Challenger
- Jeb Bush (6) Florida Former FL Governor; Republican Presidential candidate
- Joe Biden (1) Democratic V.P.
- Joe Sestak (1) Democratic candidate for President; Navy Admiral
- Jon Ossoff (4) Democratic Senate challenger Georgia
- Julian Castro (2) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (2) California Democratic nominee for Vice President; California Senator
- Kirsten Gillibrand (1) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Lincoln Chafee (4) Rhode Island Independent Rhode Island Governor
- Lindsey Graham (2) South Carolina S.C. Senator; Republican Presidential candidate
- Marianne Williamson (1) Democratic candidate for President
- Michael Bennet (1) Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Gravel (2) Democratic challenger for president
- Mike Huckabee (3) Arkansas Republican Presidential candidate
- Pete Buttigieg (1) Indiana Nominee for DOT Secretary
- Rand Paul (7) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Rick Santorum (1) Republican Presidential candidate
- Steve Bullock (4) Montana Democratic Montana Governor
- Steve Daines (1) Republican Senate challenger Montana
- Terry McAuliffe (1) Virginia Democratic Challenger
- Tom Steyer (1) Possible Democratic candidate for President from California
- Tom Udall (1) Democratic Sr Senator (Retiring 2020) New Mexico
- Tulsi Gabbard (1) Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Articles in The Nation magazine:
- 2021_VA_Governor, "Is It Really Terry McAuliffe's Turn in Virginia--Again?," by Joan Walsh, December 11, 2020
- 2020-MT-Senate: "Can This Montana Governor Deliver the Senate to the Democrats?," by Gabriel Furshong, July 6, 2020
- 2020-Primaries: "We Asked the 2020 Contenders How They Plan to Tackle Inequality," by Sam Pizzigati, November 19, 2019
- "Economic Security Should Be Lifelong," by Peter Barnes, May 15, 2019
- 2020-Primaries: "Why Democratic Contenders Now Call for Abolishing the Electoral College," by John Nichols, April 22, 2019
- "Breaking the Boundaries of 2-Party Politics in New York," by John Nichols, Nov 1, 2018
- "Why Won't Lincoln Chafee Support Robert Mueller?," by Bob Dreyfuss, May 2, 2018
- (On Abdul El-Sayed): The Nation (newsmagazine) on 2018 Michigan governor race, 1/29/2018
- "A Governor Renews Net-Neutrality Protections With the Stroke of a Pen," by John Nichols, Jan 24, 2018
- "Chafee Keeps Ripping 'Delusional' Neocons and Democrats Who Compromise With Them," by John Nichols, 8/20/15
- (On Jeb Bush): Bob and Barbara Dreyfuss in The Nation magazine, 5/30/2014
- (On Bernie Sanders): The Nation interview of 2016 presidential hopefuls, 3/6/2014
- (On Rand Paul): Rand Paul OpEd in The National Interest, 1/16/2014
- (On Donald Trump): Ari Melberon in The Nation, "Coded Racism", 4/27/2011
- (On Mike Gravel): The Nation, "Pentagon Papers Figure Bids for Presidency", 4/14/2006
- (On Stephen Laffey): The National Review, "Dump Chafee", 2/6/2006
- (On Bill Richardson): Sasha Abramsky, in The Nation, "Democrat Killer?", 4/18/2005
- (On Wesley Clark): The Nation, Opionion, "Wesley Clark's 'High Noon' Moment", 9/17/2003
- (On Phil Gramm, Spencer Abraham, Dick Cheney, George W. Bush & Paul O`Neill): The Nation, Editorial, "Enron Conservatives," p. 4-5, 2/4/2002
- (On Al Gore): Policy Paper, "The National Energy Trust Fund", 6/27/2000
- (On Winona LaDuke): The Nation,"The First Environmentalists", 2/7/2000
- (On George W. Bush): The Nation, 5/26/1999
- (On Alan Keyes): HUMAN EVENTS: The National Conservative Weekly, front page, 4/17/1998
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Terry McAuliffe: Vetoed anti-abortion laws; honored by Virginia NARAL.
Ben Carson: Need civil discussion between pro-life and pro-choice.
Rick Santorum: Push for religious liberty in workplace, but not anti-gay.
Steve Bullock: Defended state limit on corporate campaign donations.
Bernie Sanders: Workers should have 45% of board seats, 20% of stock.
Julian Castro: Tax capital gains annually, not when assets sold.
Marianne Williamson: Make it illegal for CEOs to be paid with stock options.
Bernie Sanders: Casino-type capitalism causes devastating problems.
Jon Ossoff: Crimes under Trump: act prudently, but accountability.
Energy & Oil|
Steve Bullock: Opposed Obama's halting coal mine leasing on Federal land.
Steve Bullock: Expanded fishing rights regardless of streambed ownership.
Barbara Lee: Environment relates to racial & economic justice.
Bernie Sanders: Climate change will lead to international security crises.
Don Blankenship: Environmental movement not great cause but great business.
Families & Children|
Cory Booker: New estate tax to fund "baby bond" program.
Howie Hawkins: Supports universal healthcare & universal pre-K.
Ben Carson: Focus on funding refugee camps; not bringing refugees to US.
Jeb Bush: Duty to protect religious minorities & Christian refugees.
Jeb Bush: Russia won't be an ally in Syria but maintain communication.
Lincoln Chafee: Outspoken backer of Iran nuclear agreement.
Bernie Sanders: We have to negotiate with others, even Iran.
Mike Huckabee: Governors have world views; I've been all over the Mideast.
Jeb Bush: Passivity hasn't worked on Russia and Ukraine.
Bernie Sanders: Base trade policy on working families, not multinationals.
Alan Keyes: Tariffs make foreigners share burden of US government.
Jon Ossoff: Trying to take away sacred right to vote is disgraceful.
Jon Ossoff: Open to discussing getting rid of filibuster.
Brian Schatz: Abolish the Electoral College.
Elizabeth Warren: Every vote matters: so abolish the Electoral College.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Abolish the Electoral College.
Tom Udall: Abolish Electoral College; extend vote to DC & territories.
Rand Paul: Both refugees and visa waivers pose threat.
Rand Paul: Bulk data collection does not improve safety.
Rand Paul: Surveillance of mosques ok; database of Muslims not ok.
Jeb Bush: OpEd: Distancing himself from brother & neocons.
Mike Gravel: Fought & beat Nixon White House on Pentagon Papers in 1971.
Mike Gravel: Bush administration’s secrecy is worse than Nixon’s.
Rand Paul: Legal status for 11 million illegals after we secure border.
Bernie Sanders: Tax CEOs making more than 50 times median worker pay.
Kamala Harris: Require "equal pay certification" for government contracts.
Michael Bennet: Hasn't supported a national $15 hourly minimum wage.
Principles & Values|
Jon Ossoff: Multiracial coalition with shared values emerging.
Steve Daines: We're the greatest country in the world.
Howie Hawkins: Third parties force issues neglected by major parties.
Lincoln Chafee: Mueller investigation a waste of money.
Rand Paul: Conservative on spending; libertarian-ish on other issues.
Andrew Yang: Fund Freedom Dividend payments with 10% VAT.
Tulsi Gabbard: Take money for Social Security from military & tax giveaways.
Amy Klobuchar: Return to 39.6% top rate; open to wealth tax.
Andrew Yang: End Social Security cap, favorable capital gains treatment.
Bernie Sanders: Wealth tax of 8% on fortunes over $10 billion.
Joe Biden: Undo 2017 tax cut, eliminate "stepped-up basis loophole".
Joe Sestak: End preferential treatment of capital gains.
Julian Castro: Tax inherited windfalls as ordinary income.
Kamala Harris: Higher tax on wealthy to fund Medicare-for-All & teacher pay.
Pete Buttigieg: April: raise top tax rate; October: "soft-pedals" wealth tax.
Tom Steyer: Supports higher estate tax, annual wealth tax.
Abdul El-Sayed: Limit tax foreclosures for over-assessed Detroit properties.
Alan Keyes: Excise taxes allow citizens to control tax rate themselves.
Steve Bullock: Signed executive order requiring net neutrality.
War & Peace|
Jeb Bush: No-fly zone in Syria; arm Kurds; establish Sunni coalition.
Jeb Bush: Send troops to Syria to then remain to maintain stability.
Lindsey Graham: Military commitment of regional troops in Syria is necessary.
Lindsey Graham: Regional, not US, army would keep stability in Syria.
Rand Paul: Only Sunni-Shiite coalition forces, not US, in Syria.
Lincoln Chafee: Neocon advocates for invasions are "delusional".
Lincoln Chafee: Iraq: There was "no evidence" of WMDs, it was a hoax.
Rand Paul: Keep on mind on Iran nukes but don't trust the ayatollahs.
Mike Huckabee: Arm the Kurds to fight ISIS, plus U.S. bombing.
Mike Huckabee: US boots on the ground to fight ISIS ok, if others join too.
Welfare & Poverty|
Elizabeth Warren: Raise wealth tax rate for healthcare & affordable housing.
The above quotations are from Columns and news articles in The Nation magazine.