Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Columns and news articles in Reason magazine
(Click for external website)
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Reason magazine (number of quotes indicated):
- Andrew Yang (1) New York Democratic candidate for NYC Mayor
- Arvin Vohra (3) Libertarian candidate for President
- Ben Sasse (1) Republican Jr Senator Nebraska
- Bill Weld (1) Massachusetts Republican presidential primary challenger
- Bob Barr (7) Libertarian
- Chuck Grassley (2) Republican Sr Senator Iowa
- Deval Patrick (2) Massachusetts Democratic Governor
- Gary Johnson (3) New Mexico Libertarian Gubernatorial Challenger
- James Webb (4) Former Virginia Senator; Democratic Presidential candidate
- Jerry Brown (1) California Democratic Governor
- Joe Dorman (2) Oklahoma Democratic Gubernatorial Challenger
- John Buckley (3) Libertarian Senate challenger West Virginia
- Justin Amash (13) Michigan Libertarian Presidential Challenger
- Libertarian Party (3)
- Lincoln Chafee (8) Rhode Island Independent Rhode Island Governor
- Martin O`Malley (9) Maryland Democratic Presidential candidate
- Merrick Garland (2) Attorney General
- Mike Gravel (2) Democratic challenger for president
- Mike McGavick (1) Republican challenger (2006) Washington
- Mike Pence (1) Indiana Republican Vice President
- Rand Paul (1) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Richard Blumenthal (1) Democratic Sr Senator Connecticut
- Ted Cruz (1) Republican 2016 Primary Challenger
- Tom Vilsack (7) Iowa USDA Secretary
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Articles in Reason magazine:
- On 2024 Hopefuls: "Ted Cruz's Eagerness to Fight Trump's Legal Battles Epitomizes the GOP's Complete Lack of Principles," by Jacob Sullum, 12.13.20
- On Biden Administration: "If Joe Biden Is Serious About Criminal Justice Reform, He Won't Pick Merrick Garland for Attorney General," by Damon Root, 11.23.2020
- On Biden Cabinet: "If Joe Biden Is Serious About Criminal Justice Reform, He Won't Pick Merrick Garland," by Damon Root, 11.23.2020
- "Justin Amash Wants To Be the First Libertarian President," by Nick Gillespie, 5.1.2020
- (On 2020 presidential hopefuls: "Lincoln Chafee, Former Republican Senator and Independent Governor, Seeks Libertarian Party Presidential Nomination," by Brian Doherty ,1.6.2020
- "Andrew Yang Hates Zoning Laws," by Christian Britschgi, 8.12.2019
- "Mike Gravel and His Online Teens Want Weed in the Constitution," by Billy Binion, 7.12.2019
- "Mike Gravel: The Candidate of Anti-Imperialism and Video Art," by Jesse Walker, Mar. 22, 2019
- On 2020 Nebraska Senate: "What the Heck, Ben Sasse?," by Eric Boehm, 3.14.2019
- On Trump Administration: "Mike Pence Calls Lawbreaking Ex-Sheriff Joe Arpaio a 'Champion of the Rule of Law'," by C.J. Ciaramella, 5.2.2018
- "Mass. Gov. Unveils $50 Million Climate Change Plan", 1.15.2014
- "MA Governor Wants To Hike Income Tax, Cut Sales Tax," 1.17.2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Justin Amash: Pro-life: works through discussion, not legislation.
Budget & Economy|
Tom Vilsack: Increased farm subsidies leading to overproduction.
Justin Amash: Relief payments should go to people, not corporations.
Lincoln Chafee: Dedicated to curbing $22.6 trillion debt.
Tom Vilsack: Failed to protect slaughterhouse works, help black farmers.
Tom Vilsack: Apologized for firing black woman over doctored video.
Tom Vilsack: Foreclosed on black farmers six times more than whites.
Tom Vilsack: Pushed for minority voting rights on Farm Service committees.
Justin Amash: The Fourteenth Amendment is my favorite amendment.
John Buckley: Shares home with his same-sex partner.
Gary Johnson: Denying gay couples the right to marry is discrimination.
Mike McGavick: Patriot Act is no longer an issue.
Bob Barr: Took post with ACLU based on fundamental common interests.
Tom Vilsack: Urban centers push anti-monopoly measures, not rural places.
James Webb: Reduce corporate tax rate; shift from income to consumption.
Justin Amash: Take accusations seriously, but follow due process.
Merrick Garland: Tends to defer to law enforcement, wartime executive power.
Mike Pence: Called ex-sheriff Joe Arpaio a "champion of the rule of law".
Martin O`Malley: Restore felons' voting rights; phase out for-profit prisons.
Chuck Grassley: Expand mandatory minimum s for firearm & terrorism offenses.
Mike Gravel: Proposed a Constitutional amendment to legalize marijuana.
Martin O`Malley: Reschedule marijuana but "not there yet" on legalization.
Chuck Grassley: End mandatory life sentence for three drug convictions.
Joe Dorman: No stance on marijuana legalization nor medical marijuana.
Joe Dorman: Legalize marijuana, based on Genesis 1:29.
Jerry Brown: Vetoed prosecutor discretion on drugs; keep it a felony.
Bob Barr: In Congress, a strong supporter of the War on Drugs.
Lincoln Chafee: Lobbied DEA to reclassify marijuana for medical use.
Justin Amash: Education key to fixing wealth gap, leave it at state level.
Arvin Vohra: Cut back Common Core and the Department of Education.
Libertarian Party: Cut back Common Core and the Department of Education.
Energy & Oil|
Justin Amash: Loves wind, solar, and nuclear, via private companies.
Deval Patrick: $50 million to help Massachusetts deal with climate change.
Tom Vilsack: OpEd: Rule changes harmed processing workers and animals.
Rand Paul: Hurricane recovery money is bankrupting the government.
Justin Amash: We need to be engaged with the world.
Gary Johnson: Take our share of Syrian refugees; not too many but not zero.
Lincoln Chafee: Work with UN on issues such as climate change & trade.
Martin O`Malley: Be more engaged in the world but avoid mission creep.
Bob Barr: Neocon aggression opens can of worms: others will do same.
James Webb: Skeptical about Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Martin O`Malley: Will only back agreements negotiated openly, unlike TPP.
Lincoln Chafee: Distrust of government is reason for 2d Amendment advocacy.
Lincoln Chafee: Distrust of government is reason for 2nd Amendment.
Bill Weld: 2nd Amendment right s are individual rights.
James Webb: Let military carry guns without official permission.
Martin O`Malley: For national firearms registry, expanded background checks.
Richard Blumenthal: Sued gun manufacturers to withdraw gun designs.
Justin Amash: Private market with government backstop at state level.
Gary Johnson: Drone strikes create more terrorists.
Martin O`Malley: More stringent cybersecurity; supports PATRIOT Act.
Arvin Vohra: Intelligently rethink overall military spending.
Libertarian Party: Intelligently rethink overall military spending.
Bob Barr: Loud Congressional critic of government’s abuses of power.
Bob Barr: Regrets voting for the USA PATRIOT Act.
Bob Barr: Matrix system and TIA are privacy-invasive programs.
Bob Barr: Military tribunals ok, if monitored & defined.
Justin Amash: Fix system so that people can immigrate to US lawfully.
Ben Sasse: Emergencies Act too broad; except Trump's border policies.
Lincoln Chafee: Co-sponsor of DREAM Act.
Martin O`Malley: Would grant waivers to former illegal immigrants.
John Buckley: Create a mechanism to normalize people already here.
Lincoln Chafee: Minimum wage of $10.10/hr.; $15 would hurt small business.
Martin O`Malley: Supports a $15/hour minimum wage.
Arvin Vohra: Eliminate minimum wage so entry level jobs available to all.
Libertarian Party: Eliminate minimum wage so entry level jobs available to all.
Principles & Values|
Ted Cruz: One-time critic of Trump ready to argue case on his behalf.
Justin Amash: Don't need same rules from community to community.
Justin Amash: Pushed libertarian ideas into Republican Party.
Justin Amash: Blessing to be born here; this is the best country on Earth.
Mike Gravel: 2008: YouTube political "video art" went viral.
John Buckley: Cousin to William F. Buckley; long background in GOP.
Martin O`Malley: Expand Social Security benefits.
Lincoln Chafee: End excessive loopholes; tax cuts for wealthy & corporations.
Deval Patrick: Called for cutting state sales tax, hiking income tax.
War & Peace|
Justin Amash: Make Congress authorize wars or else withdraw troops.
Merrick Garland: Judicial deference to wartime executive power.
James Webb: Opposed Libya war; focus on eastern Asia, not Middle East.
Welfare & Poverty|
Andrew Yang: Relaxing zoning laws would boost affordable housing.
The above quotations are from Columns and news articles in Reason magazine.