Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
The Last Line of Defense
The New Fight For American Liberty
by Ken Cuccinelli
(Click for Amazon book review)
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
Ken Cuccinelli does not like the federal government. But unlike so many other hard-core anti-government conservatives, Cuccinelli has done something about it. Most specifically, he has sued the federal government, as Virginia's Attorney General. Cuccinelli is now running for Governor of Virginia. His campaign's success depends on the voting public accepting Cuccinelli's argument that the federal government is too big; inappropriately claims too much power; and that its size and power should be reversed by state action. Since so many federal workers reside in Virginia, that's a tough sell; Cuccinelli is relying on the less-populated non-Washington-oriented parts of Virginia as his base.
Cuccinelli's book outlines his major legal actions against the federal government. That's all this book is: just a detailed account of several lawsuits, including detailed legal analysis of his own actions and related actions, as well as analysis of the Supreme Court's rulings on each. It's not exactly a political book nor a policy book -- but one gets enough of Cuccinelli's views on the issues that we manage to outline them for OnTheIssues. In general, Cuccinelli considers states the last line of defense against federalism; hence the title of this book. The legal actions detailed include:
- A "Freedom of Information Act" action against the EPA's "Cap-and-Trade plan to regulate carbon dioxide (the source of global warming). Cuccinelli's view is that the EPA conclusions are based on "junk science," and hence exposing the EPA's plan would kill it.
- Fighting FCC rules enforcing "net neutrality", on grounds that businesses that own internet networks have the right to use them as they see fit.
- ObamaCare is Cuccinelli's biggest target, and his claim to fame at the national level. Cuccinelli sued the federal government, along with other state attorneys general, on grounds of unconstitutionality. ObamaCare is the focus of the book; see our excerpts for more details.
Cuccinelli is an interesting politician because he acts on his beliefs rather than just spouting them on national TV. In most states, he might be a Tea Party favorite and a strong frontrunner for Governor in a Tea-Party-friendly year like 2013. But a huge percentage of his constituents are the very federal workers whom he attacks as spending the taxpayers' money on unconstitutional grounds. We therefore cannot see Cuccinelli winning in Virginia this year -- but his solid campaign and solid history may make him a Republican contender in other national venues later.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, September 2013
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Budget & Economy|
Ronald Reagan: Don't reslice the pie; help America produce a bigger pie.
Milton Friedman: Free markets are excellent at keeping businesses in line.
Energy & Oil|
Ken Cuccinelli: We exhale CO2 every day; it's not a killer.
Ken Cuccinelli: EPA's cap-and-trade policy is based on junk science.
Ken Cuccinelli: CO2 regulations force unproven & expensive technology.
Ken Cuccinelli: Plenty of doubt whether global warming science is "settled".
Lisa Jackson: Economic consequences aren't my jobq.
Al Gore: Over-representation appropriate for global warming dangers.
Ken Cuccinelli: Federal coal mining permits usurp state authority.
Ken Cuccinelli: Join with EPA for stormwater management.
Ken Cuccinelli: Regulating water runoff is not part of Clean Water Act.
Ronald Reagan: 1964: If we lose freedom here, it's the last stand on earth.
Jim DeMint: Politicians &bureaucrats systematically violate Constitution.
Ken Cuccinelli: God gives us our rights; Constitution only guarantees them.
Ken Cuccinelli: Photo identification curbs voter fraud.
Milton Friedman: Greatest threat to freedom is concentrated power.
Sandra Day O`Connor: Federal-vs.-state issues are Court's most difficult cases.
Ken Cuccinelli: It's not extremism to be concerned about bans on firearms.
Elena Kagan: Uninsured engage in commerce by raising others' premiums.
Elena Kagan: Without individual mandate, ObamaCare is unsustainable.
George W. Bush: OpEd: Medicare Part D is largest entitlement in 40 years.
John Roberts: Can't require insurance as commerce, but ok as tax.
John Roberts: Congress can REGULATE commerce but cannot COMPEL it.
Ken Cuccinelli: ObamaCare forces citizens to make purchases.
Ken Cuccinelli: ObamaCare is costly at both federal and state levels.
Ken Cuccinelli: Repeal ObamaCare as a tax, by simple majority.
Ken Cuccinelli: Allow cross-state purchasing & health savings accounts.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: ObamaCare is not a tax because it raises no revenue.
Samuel Alito: Key question: is ObamaCare a tax or a penalty?
Ken Cuccinelli: Welcome LEGAL immigrants; but no blind eye to lawlessness.
Ken Cuccinelli: Workers should not be forced to join unions.
Principles & Values|
Ken Cuccinelli: Liberty Pie: increasing government's slice reduces citizens'.
Tea Party: 2009: finally confronting big-government leviathan head-on.
Ken Cuccinelli: Medicare & Social Security are Constitutional tax authority.
John F. Kennedy: 1963: Our tax system siphons too much out of private economy.
Ken Cuccinelli: Net neutrality directly defies a federal court order.
Ken Cuccinelli: Net neutrality violates private property rights.
Welfare & Poverty|
Barack Obama: Community organizing brings about redistributive change.
Ken Cuccinelli: "General welfare" doesn't include welfare to individuals.
Ken Cuccinelli: Charities help with minimal overhead; government can't.
The above quotations are from The Last Line of Defense
The New Fight For American Liberty
by Ken Cuccinelli.
Autobiographies and Biographies of Governors:
- What A Party!, by gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D, VA)
- The Last Line of Defense, by gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R, VA)
- Chris Christie: The Inside Story of His Rise to Power, by Bob Ingle and Michael Symons
- Can`t is Not an Option, by Gov. Nikki Haley, April 2012
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King, Oct. 2010
- The Governator, by Ian Halperin (about Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger, R-CA), Aug. 2011
- A Governor`s Story, by Jennifer Granholm (D-MI), Oct, 2005
- The Agenda for America, by Gov. Haley Barbour (R, MS), April 1996
- Blue Man in a Red State, by Greg Lemon, (about Gov. Brian Schweitzer, D, MT), June 2008
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R, AZ), Nov. 2011
- Crossroads: The Future of American Politics, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D, NY), Oct. 2003
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D, MA), April 2011
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Lincoln Chafee (I, RI), April 2008
- Teachers Under Attack, by Mike Spina, about Gov. Chris Christie (R, NJ), Feb. 2011
Press Releases etc. from Governors, Mayors, and Justices:
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2013
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2012
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2011
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2010
- Gubernatorial Press Releases, 2001-2009
- Mayoral Press Releases, 2011
- Senatorial Press Releases, 2010's
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2010-2011
- Mayoral Campaign websites, 2011
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2011
- Gubernatorial State of the State speeches, 2010
- Mayorial State of the City speeches, 2007-2011
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2010
- Gubernatorial Campaign websites, 2001-2009
- My Grandfather's Son, by Justice Clarence Thomas, Oct. 2008
Page last edited: Dec 23, 2018