Freedom Under Siege
The US Constitution After 200-Plus Years,
by Ron Paul (first published 1987; reprinted Nov. 2007)
(Click for Amazon book review)
BOOK REVIEW by OnTheIssues.org:
This book was written in 1987 and re-released for Paul's presidential campaign in 2007. It has no 2007 update, unfortunately, so we have to infer that Rep. Paul still subscribes to all of his policy prescriptions from 20 years ago.
The theme of this book is that big government is reducing our personal freedom, slowing our economy, and ultimately will destroy the country.
This book will be of interest to people who want a deeper understanding of what libertarians are talking about, and why Rep. Paul has generated such a large army of "Paulistas" in his presidential campaign. Rep. Paul's libertarian philosophy is well-documented here, although he would prefer the term "constitutionalist", meaning one who strictly follows the Constitution.
The book consists of four chapters:
- Individual Rights: This topic spans topics from morality to gun control, and we excerpt it heavily. Rep. Paul's thesis is: follow the Constitution, or follow the Amendment process if you don't like what's in the Constitution.
- Foreign Policy: This topic is covered in more detail in Paul's 2007 book, A Foreign Policy of Freedom. We excerpt it heavily to contrast to Rep. Paul's current statements on Iraq (anyone who knows Rep. Paul's level of consistency on this topic will know that by "compare" we mean "substantiate that he has indeed held the same views for 20 years now.")
- The Military Draft: This topic seems very outdated now, so we include just one representative excerpt. Rep. Paul makes only passing reference to the concept of "National Service," which would be the modern equivalent of this topic.
- Sound Money is Gold: This topic is covered in more detail in Rep. Paul's 1981 book, Gold, Peace, and Prosperity. We include a couple of excerpts and refer more interested readers to that source.
-- Jesse Gordon, jesse@OnTheIssues.org, Dec. 2007
Click here for 20 full quotes from Ron Paul in the book Freedom Under Siege.
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Budget & Economy|
We’ve come to accept debt, wealth confiscation, & big gov’t.
Gold standard limits deficit spending.
Rights belong only to individuals, not collective groups.
Gender-equal pay violates idea of voluntary contract.
In times of war, our freedoms are threatened at home.
Societal inconsistency on alcohol contributes to drug use.
Families & Children|
State role on medical care for children undermines freedom.
Policy of non-intervention, neutrality, & independence.
$140B to protect Europe creates competitive disadvantage.
Foreign aid helps dictators, not the people of aided country.
Our government routinely lies to us.
Judges have become legislators by de-emphasizing juries.
Federal abuses today worse than King’s in 1776 revolution.
Reassess “mutual security” treaties; our allies never aid us.
Conscription is a trait of totalitarian government.
Principles & Values|
Appears that American republic is in its waning days.
1986 tax simplification made tax code more incomprehensible.
Gov’t computer snooping makes National ID Card inevitable.
War & Peace|
Internationalists favor perpetual war by fear-mongering.
1980s Libya bombing was an unauthorized act of war.
Click for quotations from other sources by:
- Ron Paul
The above quotations are from Freedom Under Siege
The US Constitution After 200-Plus Years,
by Ron Paul (first published 1987; reprinted Nov. 2007).
Books by Rep. Ron Paul:
- Gold, Peace, and Prosperity: The Birth of a New Currency
- The Revolution: A Manifesto
- A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
- Freedom Under Siege
- The Case For Gold
- Liberty Defined
- Books about Ron Paul:
- Ron Paul vs. Newt Gingrich On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Dec. 2011
- Ron Paul vs. Barack Obama On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Jan. 2012
- Debates with Ron Paul:
- Speeches at 2008 CPAC conference
- 2008 GOP debate at Reagan Library in Simi Valley
- Republican presidential debate, before South Carolina primary
- 2008 Republican primary debate in Boca Raton Florida
- 2008 Republican primary debate, sponsored by Facebook, Jan. 5, 2008
- Republican primary debate, broadcast in Spanish
- 2007 GOP debate sponsored by Des Moines Register, Dec. 12, 2007
- 2007 GOP YouTube debate
- 2007 Republican Presidential Forum at Morgan State University, Sept. 27, 2007
- GOP debate in Dearborn, Michigan
- 2007 GOP primary debate in Orlando, Florida
- Values Voter Presidential Debate
- 2007 Republican Primary debate at University of New Hampshire
- 2007 GOP Iowa Straw Poll debate, hosted by George Stephanopoulos, August 5, 2007
- 2007 Republican primary debate at St. Anselm College, Manchester N.H., June 5, 2007
- 2007 Republican Primary Debate in Columbia, South Carolina, May 15, 2007, sponsored by Fox News
- 2007 GOP primary debate, at Ronald Reagan library in Simi Valley California