Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Foreign Influences on United States Policy
- U.K. Prime Minister campaign website https://www.rishisunak.com/myplan downloaded 12/19/22
- BBC, "Brexit: Rishi Sunak rules out deal that relies on EU law alignment," 21 November 2022; Link
- The Evening Standard, "Sunak vows to crack down on crime as he speaks of safety fears for daughter," by Sophie Wingate, 19 November 2022 Link
- The Guardian, "Rishi Sunak accused of taking ‚Äėanti-abortion stance' by service providers," by Alexandra Topping, 4 Nov 2022; Link
- Wilson Center, "Foreign policy challenges facing the Sunak Government," by Ben Baxendale-Smith, November 2, 2022 Link
- Observer Research Foundation, "The Challenges Of Being Rishi Sunak," by Harsh V. Pant, Oct. 28, 2022; Link
- Hunger Magazine, "From trans rights to abortion -- here's Rishi Sunak's voting record and what it could mean for us," Oct.25, 2022 Link
- BBC, "Rishi Sunak: A quick guide to the UK's new prime minister," 25 October 2022; Link
- CNN: Transcript of "State of the Union": Interview With British Prime Minister Liz Truss. moderated by Jake Tapper, September 25, 2022, (Link)
- CNN, "Britain's new prime minister, Liz Truss, is a political shape-shifter. Now she's set for her toughest transformation yet," by Luke McGee, September 6, 2022, (Link)
- BBC, "Who is Liz Truss? From teenage Lib Dem to Tory PM," by Brian Wheeler & Sam Francis, Sept. 6, 2022, (Link)
- Politico, "Everything you wanted to know about Liz Truss but were too afraid to ask," by Matt Honeycombe-Foster, September 5, 2022, (Link)
- Politico.com, "The Truss manifesto," by Noah Keate, September 1, 2022, (Link)
- CNN, "Final candidates in race to become new UK Prime Minister vow to expand Rwanda immigration policy," by Niamh Kennedy, July 24, 2022Link
- TheConversation.com, "Ukraine war follows decades of warnings that NATO expansion into Eastern Europe could provoke Russia," by Ronald Suny, February 28, 2022
- Vox.com, "Why is Putin attacking Ukraine? He told us," by Zack Beauchamp, Feb 23, 2022
- Vox.com, "How America's NATO expansion obsession plays into the Ukraine crisis," by Jonathan Guyer, Jan 27, 2022
- Council on Foreign Relations, "Why NATO Has Become a Flash Point With Russia in Ukraine," by Jonathan Masters, January 20, 2022
- BBC, "China's Xi Jinping cements his status with historic resolution," by Waiyee Yip, 11/12/21
- Global Times, "Keynote speech by Chinese President Xi Jinping at APEC CEO Summit," Nov 11, 2021
- Brookings Institution, "China's land border law: A preliminary assessment," by Shuxian Luo, November 4, 2021
- International Student Insurance, "Healthcare in Russia," downloaded 11/2/2021
- South China Morning Post, "China's LGBT community caught up in Xi Jinping's widening crackdowns on big tech, education and celebrities," by Andrew Mullen, 30 October 2021
- SupChina.com, "Xi Jinping wants a nation of fit children, and schools are going all out to hire gym teachers," by Jiayun Feng, October 26, 2021
- Times of India, "China's Xinjiang policy: Controlling Uighur births, lives and minds," Oct 25, 2021
- Voice of America, "China Steps Up Assimilation of Ethnic Minorities by Banning Languages in Schools," by Peh Hong Lim, October 24, 2021
- The Moscow Times, "Putin Rails Against 'Monstrous' West in Valdai Speech," Oct. 22, 2021
- Human Rights Watch, "Tightening Up: A ChinaFile Conversation," by Maya Wang, Oct. 20, 2021
- Reuters News Service, "Putin blames Europe energy market 'hysteria' on green transition," 10/5/21
- Al Jazeera, "Russia's Putin praises elections as hundreds protest results," 25 Sep 2021
- UA Wire, "Russia increases military spending," September 22, 2021
- Radio Free Europe, "Russia Announces Plan To Halve Abortion Rates To Spur Population Growth," September 22, 2021
- BBC, "Russia election: Putin's party wins election marred by fraud claims," 20 September 2021
- CNN, "China and the US were both born from armed conflict. They're now polar opposites on gun control," by Jessie Yeung and Steve George, September 20, 2021
- Tass Russian News Agency, "Putin urged wider EAEU cooperation on free trade agreements," May 21, 2021
- New York Times, "Russia School Shooting Kills 7 Students and 2 Employees," by Andrew E. Kramer, May 11, 2021
- The Moscow Times, "Putin Announces New Cash Handouts, Familiar Policies in Pre-Election Pitch," by Jake Cordell, April 21, 2021
- Council on Foreign Relations, "The Putin Regime Will Never Tire of Imposing Internet Control," by Baurzhan Rakhmetov, February 22, 2021
- Bloomberg News, "Russia Sends Navalny to Notorious Penal Camp Feared by Inmates," by Irina Reznik and Henry Meyer, February 28, 2021
- Centre for Eastern Studies (osw.waw.pl), "Tightening the screws. Putin's repressive laws," by Maria Domanska, 2021-02-18
- Reuters News Service, "Russia's Putin marks Orthodox Epiphany with icy dip," January 19, 2021
- Click for older citations
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Vladimir Putin: In the modern world the decision is up to the woman herself.
Vladimir Putin: Dissuade women from abortion due to population decline.
Vladimir Putin: Convince women not to have abortions, and help raise child.
Liz Truss: Maintain abortion access across the United Kingdom.
Rishi Sunak: Abstained or voted against all English abortion legislation.
Budget & Economy|
Vladimir Putin: Ordered third stimulus package in wake of pandemic.
Vladimir Putin: Focus on ensuring growth of real incomes of citizens.
Liz Truss: Wants to lower the tax burden, not give out handouts.
Rishi Sunak: Supported $452 billion in stimulus during pandemic.
New Testament: OpEd: Apply Sermon on the Mount to gays, not Romans.
Vladimir Putin: Signed "gay propaganda" law denying minors information.
Vladimir Putin: Don't care about skin color: no reverse discrimination.
Vladimir Putin: Russians treated equally regardless of race, gender, belief.
Xi Jinping: Many discriminated against for rural household registration.
Xi Jinping: Shut down LGBT social media accounts; boycott "sissy idols".
Liz Truss: Allow private companies to decide policies on sex and gender.
Rishi Sunak: On trans rights, basic facts of biology remain important.
Xi Jinping: Purge capitalist excess; business must heed state guidance.
Liz Truss: I would not do the corporation tax hikes.
Old Testament: OpEd: "An eye for an eye" LIMITS punishment, not ALLOWS it.
Vladimir Putin: Softens punishment for first-time offenders for hate crimes.
Vladimir Putin: Opposition leader sentenced to notorious penal camp.
Xi Jinping: Use an iron fist against Uighurs, claiming Islamic terrorism.
Liz Truss: Expects 20% decrease in violent crimes by end of Parliament.
Rishi Sunak: 20,000 more police on the street, more people jailed .
Vladimir Putin: Drugs are the way towards the degradation of a nation.
Vladimir Putin: Refute the lie of safe and civilized use of soft drugs.
Xi Jinping: War on drugs tied to welfare of the Chinese people.
Liz Truss: As a Liberal Democrat, supported legalization of cannabis.
Vladimir Putin: Annual education camps for high-schoolers at military park.
Xi Jinping: Give physical education top priority in Chinese schools.
Xi Jinping: Eliminate teaching minorities in native languages in schools.
Liz Truss: Review whether schools are doing enough about antisemitism.
Rishi Sunak: Education is the best way to spread opportunity to all.
Energy & Oil|
Old Testament: God maintains cold & hot seasons, not climate change.
Vladimir Putin: Green transition should be smooth instead of drastic steps.
Vladimir Putin: We'll end up in caves if we rely on solar/wind power.
Xi Jinping: Promote green, low-carbon and sustainable development.
Liz Truss: Remove green energy levies from energy bills.
Liz Truss: Deliver net zero carbon emissions by 2050.
Liz Truss: Build domestic supply so we're not dependent on Russia.
Rishi Sunak: UK has a responsibility to lead climate change financing .
Pope Francis: Avert serious effects of environmental deterioration.
Pope Francis: Amazon is not an inexhaustible source of resources.
Families & Children|
Pope Francis: No ideological colonization of contraception & abortion.
Vladimir Putin: Monstrous to teach children that a boy can become a girl.
Donald Trump: Criticized Buchananís view on Hitler as appeasement.
Donald Trump: By 2027, tsunami as China overtakes US as largest economy.
Donald Trump: China should make Kim Jong Un disappear.
Donald Trump: Support NATO, but it's not us against Russia.
Donald Trump: Condemn Russian & any country's involvement in our elections.
Donald Trump: It's good that Putin says nice things about me.
Donald Trump: 1987 thru 2013: Tried to build Trump Tower in Moscow.
New Testament: Bibles banned in China from 1949 until 1979.
Vladimir Putin: We will continue to work with China on a bilateral basis.
Vladimir Putin: May remove Taliban from list of terrorist organizations.
Xi Jinping: Don't relapse into confrontation, division of Cold War era.
Liz Truss: Opposed Brexit in 2016; now supports it.
Liz Truss: Work with other democracies against autocratic regimes.
Rishi Sunak: China is the biggest long term threat to Britain.
Vladimir Putin: More preferential agreements with largest trading partners.
Vladimir Putin: Working on free trade area involving Israel and Egypt.
Vladimir Putin: Russia is courting India to sign a free trade agreement.
Xi Jinping: Building high-standard Asian Pacific free trade areas.
Liz Truss: Retained post-Brexit links with key trading partners.
Liz Truss: Work to secure a free trade agreement between UK and Israel.
Rishi Sunak: Negotiating U.K.-India Free Trade Agreement .
Vladimir Putin: Increased regulations of non-government organizations.
Vladimir Putin: Barred opponents from running, charges of election fraud.
Vladimir Putin: Claimed elections were free and fair, held openly.
Xi Jinping: China is strengthening regulation over some sectors.
Liz Truss: Co-wrote book recommending stripping back state regulation.
Liz Truss: Scrap all EU-derived regulation by the end of 2023.
Rishi Sunak: Will not align with EU laws as part of post-Brexit situation.
Vladimir Putin: School shooting leads to tightening of gun laws.
Xi Jinping: Only a few groups of people are allowed to own guns.
Liz Truss: Crack down on online sales of offensive weapons.
Liz Truss: Would reverse increase in cost of National Insurance.
Vladimir Putin: Shouldn't mandate; convince people vaccination is better.
Vladimir Putin: Increased obligatory medical insurance tax from 3.1% to 5.1%.
Vladimir Putin: Top priority is to improve public health-care services.
Rishi Sunak: Community healthcare is in my blood.
Donald Trump: Would take info on opponents from foreigners, might call FBI.
Vladimir Putin: Russia returns to top 5 defense spending countries.
Vladimir Putin: Kremlin abandons plans to freeze defense spending.
Vladimir Putin: Ukraine and Georgia in NATO is threat to Russia.
Vladimir Putin: 2013 Euromaidan protests: dangerous Ukraine nationalism.
Xi Jinping: Defend territorial sovereignty and land border security.
Liz Truss: Increase UK's defense spending to 3% of GDP by 2030.
Rishi Sunak: Hasn't committed to 3% increase in defense budget.
Pope Francis: It's not Christian to build a wall on US-Mexican border.
Pope Francis: We should receive asylum-seekers, not reject them.
Pope Francis: Opposes border wall between US and Mexico.
Vladimir Putin: Praised Trump for stopping migrants and drugs from Mexico.
Vladimir Putin: Resisted calls for visa requirements for migrant workers.
Vladimir Putin: Reduced time for Russian passports for some occupations.
Liz Truss: Don't let asylum seekers to work, makes UK a magnet.
Rishi Sunak: The UK has lost control of its borders.
Liz Truss: Would increase minimum vote for union to strike to 50%.
Principles & Values|
Vladimir Putin: Positioned as a defender of traditional Christian values.
Vladimir Putin: Has given the church a major voice in society.
Vladimir Putin: Foundations of Orthodox culture are taught in public schools.
Vladimir Putin: Patriotism is Russia's national idea.
Xi Jinping: Resolution makes Xi the equal of Mao and Deng in history.
Xi Jinping: Moral review councils use public shaming for enforcement.
Rishi Sunak: First Hindu British PM: "I am open about being a Hindu".
Rishi Sunak: Said he wanted to be a Jedi Knight when he grew up.
Vladimir Putin: Raised retirement ages to 60 for women, 65 for men.
Vladimir Putin: Pension reform unpopular despite indexing for inflation.
New Testament: OpEd: Bible endorses flat tax--10% tithing.
Vladimir Putin: Raise tax to 15% for income over 5 million rubles ($72,000).
Vladimir Putin: Increased mineral extraction tax three times in a year.
Liz Truss: She has pledged to slash taxes from day one.
Liz Truss: Higher taxes makes it harder to attract investment we need.
Rishi Sunak: Taxes can only be lowered once inflation is under control.
Vladimir Putin: Supports holding esports tournaments in schools.
Vladimir Putin: Sanction online platforms for censoring Russian media.
Rishi Sunak: Ensuring high quality broadband is a key priority.
War & Peace|
Condoleezza Rice: 2008 ambassador: Ukraine in NATO is serious threat to Russia.
Donald Trump: OpEd: Israel killed Iranian scientist & Trump approved.
George W. Bush: 2008: Support for Ukraine in NATO is a threat to Russia.
Vladimir Putin: Ukrainian entry into NATO is the brightest of all redlines.
Liz Truss: Ukraine should drive Putin's forces out of the country.
Liz Truss: We need to send more weapons to Ukraine.
Welfare & Poverty|
Liz Truss: Reform welfare, we need to get those people into work.
The above quotations are from Foreign Influences on United States Policy.
- Tass Russian News Agency, "Putin denounces 'civilized' use of 'soft' drugs," November 16. 2020
- The Moscow Times, "Putin Orders Government to Improve Abortion Prevention Efforts," Oct. 27, 2020
- Inside the Games e-zine, "Russian President Putin gives green light for esports in schools," by Michael Houston, 24 September 2020
- Fair Planet, "Russia Opens Doors for Immigrants," by Igor Serebryany, July 8, 2020
- Baptist News, "Why is Russia's Putin talking about marriage and faith in God?," by Andrey Shirin, July 6, 2020
- Tass Russian News Agency, "No racial or gender discrimination in Russia, assures Putin," 3 July 2020
- Radio Free Europe, "Putin Announces Tax Hike For High Earners Ahead Of Constitutional Vote," June 23, 2020
- The Moscow Times, "Putin Adds Patriotism, War History to School Curriculum," May 22, 2020
- Business News Europe (bne) Intellinews, "Russian government adopts a third economic stimulus package," May 12, 2020
- The Moscow Times, "Russia Returns to Top 5 Defense Spending Countries Worldwide," April 27, 2020
- World Socialist Web Site wsws.org, "Hundreds of thousands denied pensions in Russia," by Andrea Peters, 12 February 2020
- NIKKEI Asia, "Russia woos India to sign trade pact with Eurasian Economic Union," by Dimitri Simes, January 15, 2020
- Politico Europe (politico.eu), "Why Orthodox Christians are losing faith in Putin," by Marc Bennetts, December 24, 2019
- The Moscow Times, "Putin Says Zero-Carbon Energy Will 'Send Us Ba—Āk to Caves'," Nov. 20, 2019
- Times of Israel, "Putin says Russia seeking free trade area with Egypt and Israel," 13 October 2019
- The Moscow Times, "Why Putin Sounds Alt-Right Though He Really Isn't," by Leonid Bershidsky, June 28, 2019
- Financial Times, "Vladimir Putin says liberalism has 'become obsolete'," by Lionel Barber, Henry Foy and Alex Barker, June 27, 2019
- Radio Free Europe, "Putin Signs Law Softening Punishment For 'Likes,' Reposts, And Memes," December 28, 2018
- Live Civilized blog, "Vladimir Putin Says Censoring Rap Will Lower Marijuana Use," December 19, 2018
- Human Rights Watch, "No Support - Russia's 'Gay Propaganda' Law Imperils LGBT Youth," December 11, 2018
- BBC British Broadcasting, "Russia's Putin softens pension reforms after outcry," 29 August 2018
- Nature magazine, "China expands surveillance of sewage to police illegal drug use," by David Cyranoski, 16 July 2018
- Fortune magazine, "Guess What? Vladimir Putin Is a Pro-Choice Champion," by Geoffrey Smith, December 14, 2017
- Reuters News Service, "Russia to raise tax on metals producers in 2022 ‚Äď Putin," Aug 6, 2013
- The Lancet medical journal, "Health and medicine under Putin," by Fiona Clark, March 02, 2013
- ArmsControl.org, "Opposition to NATO Expansion," Remarks by Stan Resor on letter dated June 26, 1997