Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Congressional confirmation hearings for Supreme Court and Cabinet nominees
Articles regarding federal confirmation hearings:
- Reuters, "U.S. Supreme Court nominee Jackson a tough sell on racial-bias claims," by Andrew Chung and Lawrence Hurley, March 17, 2022
- The Signal (The College of New Jersey), "Ketanji Brown Jackson is not an Affirmative Action hire," by Soorin Kim, March 11, 2022
- Congressional Research Service, "The Nomination of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court," March 14, 2022
- CBS News, "The issues GOP senators may focus on during Ketanji Brown Jackson's Supreme Court confirmation hearings," by Melissa Quinn, March 3, 2022
- MedPageToday, "What Does Ketanji Brown Jackson's Record Mean for America's Health?," by Gostin, Finch, Wetter, and Friedman, March 1, 2022
- Washington Post, "A quick guide to Ketanji Brown Jackson's health-related rulings," by Rachel Roubein, February 28, 2022
- Human Rights Campaign, "HRC Applauds President Biden's Historic Nomination of Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court," by Delphine Luneau, February 25, 2022
- NRA-ILA press release, "NRA Statement on the Nomination of Ketanji Brown Jackson to US Supreme Court," February 25, 2022
- Center for Reproductive Rights, "What You Need to Know About the Historic Nomination of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the U.S. Supreme Court", 02.25.2022
- Washington Blade, "Biden nominates Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court," by Chris Johnson, February 25, 2022
- The 19th, "History made: Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to be first Black woman nominated to the Supreme Court," by Candice Norwood, February 25, 2022
- BuzzFeed, "Breaking Down Supreme Court Pick Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson's Biggest Cases," by Zoe Tillman, February 25, 2022
- ScotusBlog.com, "Profile of a potential nominee: Ketanji Brown Jackson," by Amy Howe, Feb 1, 2022
- Washington Post, "Possible Supreme Court nominee, former defender, saw impact of harsh drug sentence firsthand," by Ann E. Marimow and Aaron C. Davis, January 30, 2022
- State (Vatican): Indianapolis Star "Biden to nominate former Indiana Sen. Joe Donnelly as ambassador to the Vatican," by Rashika Jaipuriar, 10/9/21
- State (Vatican): National Catholic Reporter, "Biden nominates pro-life Democrat Donnelly as new Vatican ambassador," by Joshua J. McElwee, Oct 8, 2021
- State (Luxembourg): Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, "Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett nominated to be ambassador to Luxembourg by President Biden," by Alison Dirr, Daniel Bice, and Mary Spicuzza, 8/25/21
- State (Luxembourg): The Nation, "Making Rahm Emanuel Ambassador to Japan Would Be a Sick Joke," by Robert L. Borosage, August 24, 2021
- State (Japan): Jacobin Magazine, "It Pays to Be Rahm Emanuel," by David Sirota, Walker Bragman, 08.24.2021
- State (Japan)e: Chicago Sun-Times, "Biden taps Rahm Emanuel for ambassador to Japan," by Lynn Sweet, Aug 20, 2021
- Financial Review, "Caroline Kennedy would be 'right pick' as US ambassador to Australia, by Matthew Cranston, Aug 3, 2021
- Town & Country, "Caroline Kennedy, Former U.S. Ambassador to Japan, Admires 'Resilience' at Tokyo Olympics," by Annie Goldsmith, Aug 2, 2021
- State (Turkey): TRT World (Istanbul, Turkey), "What the nomination of Jeff Flake means for Turkey-US relations," by Ali Cinar, 20 July 2021
- State (Turkey): The Armenian Weekly, "ANCA seeking close scrutiny of Jeff Flake's nomination to serve as US Ambassador to Turkey," by ANCA News (Armenian National Committee of America), July 14, 2021
- State Dept.: Politico.com, "Former Sen. Tom Udall is Biden's pick as ambassador to New Zealand and Samoa," by Maeve Sheehey, 07/16/2021
- State Dept.: Arizona Republic, "Biden names Arizona Republican Jeff Flake as his ambassador pick for Turkey," by Ronald J. Hansen & Yvonne Wingett Sanchez, 7/13/21
- State Dept.: Politico.com, "Biden nominates ex-GOP Sen. Jeff Flake as ambassador to Turkey," by Nick Niedzwiadek, 07/13/2021
- State: The Jewish Exponent, "Biden Taps LA's Jewish Mayor Eric Garcetti to Be US Ambassador to India," by Ron Kampeas, July 12, 2021
- Statem (India): KTLA-5-TV, "L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti nominated to serve as ambassador to India," by Associated Press, Kareen Wynter, & Mary Beth McDade, Jul 9, 2021
- State Dept.: Los Angeles Times, "Biden nominates L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti as U.S. ambassador to India," by Dakota Smith, David Zahniser & Chris Megerian, July 9, 2021
- State: Newshub (New Zealand), "Tom Udall: Five things to know about new US Ambassador to New Zealand," by Zane Small, July 7 2021
- State (India): ABC7.com, "Garcetti, awaiting ambassadorial nod, reflects on challenges facing city," July 5, 2021
- State: (Mexico) Excelsior, "Ken Salazar, a diplomatic cowboy in Mexico City," by Enrique Sanchez, 06-27-2021
- State (India): FoxLA.com Fox-11 Los Angeles, "Mayor Eric Garcetti and coalition of U.S. Mayors launch reparations initiative," June 18, 2021
- State: People Magazine, "Kennedy Family Will Dedicate 2020 Profile in Courage Award to Coronavirus Frontline Workers," by Benjamin VanHoose, May 28, 2020
- State: Alamosa News, "Salazar nominated as ambassador to Mexico," by Priscilla Waggoner, Jun 17, 2021
- State: Al Dia News, "Biden looks to formalize his diplomatic agenda with Mexico and Brazil," by Oscar Lopez, June 17, 2021
- State: San Diego Union Tribune, "Mexico celebrates the appointment of Ken Salazar as US ambassador," June 16, 2021
- State: ColoradoPolitics.com, "Ken Salazar is Biden's pick for US ambassador to Mexico," by Ernest Luning, May 28, 2021
- State Dept.: The Washington Post, "In today's Republican Party, there is no greater offense than honesty," by Jeff Flake, May 11, 2021
- State: Vanderbilt University, "Caroline Kennedy urges Vanderbilt graduates to be 'active citizens,' embrace democratic values," By Ann Marie Deer Owens, Apr. 30, 2021
- DOE: Our Daily Planet, "Climate Ally Jennifer Granholm Confirmed as Energy Secretary," by Amy Lupica, February 26, 2021
- State: KMOV-TV Arizona's Family (AzFamily.com), "It's time for the Republican party to move on from Trump," by Jeff Flake, Feb 15, 2021
- DHS Press Release, "Alejandro Mayorkas Sworn in as Secretary of Homeland Security," February 2, 2021
- DHS Press Release, "Secretary Mayorkas on Immigration Reform Executive Orders," February 2, 2021
- DOD: Chicago Crusader, "Lloyd Austin sworn in as nation's first Black Secretary of Defense," January 28, 2021
- DHS: Fox News, "Alejandro Mayorkas: What to know about Biden's DHS pick," by Adam Shaw, January 22, 2021
- DOD: NPR, "Biden's Defense Pick, Lloyd Austin, Seeks To Become 1st Black Pentagon Chief," by Brakkton Booker, January 19, 2021
- DHS: NPR, "From Border Wall To Capitol Riot, Homeland Security Nominee Takes Senate Questions," by Brian Naylor, & Barbara Sprunt, January 19, 2021
- DHS: Fox News, "Biden DHS nominee Mayorkas says ICE should not be defunded, despite liberal calls," by Adam Shaw, January 19, 2021
- DHS: PR NewsWire, "FAIR Opposes Alejandro Mayorkas to Head DHS: Wrong Person, Worst Time," by The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR), Jan 19, 2021
- DHS: Forward magazine, "Jewish leaders to Mayorkas: DHS needs liaison focused on domestic terror," by Jacob Kornbluh, January 10, 2021
- DOL & DOC: Daily Caller News, "Biden expands gun control contingent in his Cabinet," by Jake Dima, January 8, 2021
- DOL: Bloomberg News, "Biden Names Boston Mayor Walsh to Head Labor Department," by Benjamin Penn, Josh Eidelson, and Jennifer Epstein, January 7, 2021
- DOJ: Politico.com:, "Biden to tap Merrick Garland for attorney general," by Tyler Pager, Josh Gerstein and Kyle Cheney, 01/06/2021
- OPE: Face the Nation Transcript: interview of Rep. Cedric Richmond, December 13, 2020
- DOT: South Bend Tribune, "How Pete Buttigieg's role as transportation secretary can boost his presidential hopes," by Kaitlin Lange, Dec 26, 2020
- DOE: Transmssion & Distribution World, "Two-Term Michigan Gov. Granholm to Head Biden DOE," by Jeff Postelwait, Dec 22, 2020
- DOE: HPC Wire, "Biden to Nominate Jennifer Granholm for Energy Secretary," by Oliver Peckham, December 21, 2020
- DOE: Natural Resources Defense Council press release: "Jennifer Granholm and Pete Buttigieg--Two Biden Cabinet Picks to Help Steer the Country Toward a Better Climate Future, by Jeff Turrentine, December 21, 2020
- DOE: MSNBC Op-Ed, "Here's the problem with Biden picking Jennifer Granholm to run the DOE, by Hayes Brown, Dec. 21, 2020
- DOE: ABC This Week interview of Jennifer Granholm, December 20, 2020
- DOT: CNN Business, "Mayor Pete had a fleet of 47 buses; Secretary of Transportation Pete Buttigieg will have a budget of $87 billion", by Matt McFarland, December 18, 2020
- DPC: Ms Magazine, "Biden Recruits Veteran Policy Adviser Susan Rice: 'We All Rise or Fall Together'," by Sophie Dorf-Kamienny, 12/16/2020
- OPE: The New Orleans Times-Picayune, "For Cedric Richmond, White House outreach to conservatives will be business as usual," by Stephanie Grace, Dec 15, 2020
- OPE: NPR's All Things Considered, "Incoming White House Public Engagement Director on His Plans For The Job," December 11, 2020
- DOI confirmation hearings: 19th News blog: "Biden under pressure to appoint first Native American to head Interior Department," by Amanda Becker, December 11, 2020
- HUD confirmation hearings: 19th News blog: "Marcia Fudge talks about how she plans to lead HUD," by Errin Haines, December 10, 2020
- OPE: Bloomberg News, "Biden Administration Will Create Position to Reach Conservatives," by Jennifer Jacobs, December 7, 2020
- State: Las Cruces Sun-News, "New Mexico Sen. Tom Udall coming home, but not planning to rest for long," by Algernon D'Ammassa, Dec 5, 2020
- Associated Press, "Ex-members of religious group mixed on Barrett nomination," by Michelle R. Smith, October 11, 2020
- Congressional Research Service, "Judge Amy Coney Barrett: Her Jurisprudence and Potential Impact on the Supreme Court," October 6, 2020
- DOE: Buenos Aires Times, "Interview: Ex-Michigan governor Jennifer Granholm on the state of US politics today," by Jacob Meschke, 12-03-2018
- Treasury: 19th News blog: 19th News e-zine, "Biden reportedly will nominate Janet Yellen to become nation's first female Treasury Secretary," by Chabeli Carrazana, November 23, 2020
- DOL: NBC Boston, "Walsh: 'No Reason to Believe There's Cause for Concern' in Boston on Election Day," November 2, 2020
- DOC: NBC News, "Rhode Island governor signs bill to help gay veterans get benefits," by Quinn Gawronski, Nov. 11, 2019
- DOJ: Politico.com and CATO voting recommendation: "Brett Kavanaugh, Merrick Garland, and the Cohesion of the Federal Bench," by Walter Olson, September 6, 2018
- DOL: NBC Boston, "'Do Your Job': Mayor Walsh, Hundreds of Activists Call for Stricter Gun Control Measures," by Mike Manzoni and Perry Russom, August 18, 2019
- DOE: Detroit News, "Massacres revive calls to strengthen Michigan's middling gun laws," by Jonathan Oosting and Beth LeBlanc, Aug 5, 2019
- SCOTUS: CNN, "Where Brett Kavanaugh stands on key issues", by Clare Foran and Joan Biskupic, October 6, 2018
- DOJ: Cato Institute, "Brett Kavanaugh, Merrick Garland, and the Cohesion of the Federal Bench," by Walter Olson, September 6, 2018
- DOJ: Chicago Tribune, "Merrick Garland says local schools 'reinforced my sense of community'," by Myrna Petlicki, Sep 05, 2018
- SCOTUS: CNN, "What the case of a killer whale tells us about Brett Kavanaugh," by Joan Biskupic, August 25, 2018
- DOI: Denver Post, "Former Interior Secretary Ken Salazar argues against bigger drilling setbacks in Colorado," by Aldo Svaldi, July 26, 2018
- The New Yorker, "Why Sally Yates Stood Up to Trump," by Ryan Lizza, 5.29.17
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Brett Kavanaugh: Disallow 17-year-old illegal immigrant to seek abortion.
Brett Kavanaugh: Roe is an important precedent, but stricter regulations ok.
Neil Gorsuch: Let Hobby Lobby skip contraceptives on religious grounds.
Merrick Garland: Record on abortion rights entirely blank.
Sonia Sotomayor: Precedents must be given deference in any situation.
John Roberts: Roe v. Wade is more than settled as precedent.
Jon Kyl: Nominees should not reveal pre-determined positions on Roe.
Lindsey Graham: Ginsburg would get rejected today for outspokenness on Roe.
Richard Durbin: Troubled that Alito 1985 memo shows closed mind on abortion.
Richard Durbin: Doesn’t condemn converts to pro-choice, since he did.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Government should fund abortion and childbirth equally.
Samuel Alito: Stare decisis is first step; then an open mind on abortion.
Samuel Alito: Was against Roe in 1985, but a lot has happened since then.
Samuel Alito: Roe v Wade is important precedent but not settled law.
John Ashcroft: Opposes Roe v Wade, but accepts it as settled law.
Elena Kagan: Health exceptions for partial-birth abortion ban.
Clarence Thomas: Defining abortion position would prejudge abortion cases.
Clarence Thomas: Personally views back-alley illegal abortions as torture.
Clarence Thomas: Never discussed Roe v. Wade in law school nor since.
Clarence Thomas: Privacy is protected; no comment on application to abortion.
Clarence Thomas: Overruling previous cases is a very serious matter.
Budget & Economy|
Jeff Flake: Mocking of earmarks helped lead to moratorium.
Janet Yellen: First person to hold all three economic policymaking roles.
Pete Buttigieg: Redesigned streets proved safer & increased property values.
Pete Buttigieg: Led on local transportation issues as mayor.
Elena Kagan: 14th Amendment's "liberty clause" includes economic liberty.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Upheld program for disadvantaged small businesses.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Nomination endorsed by the Human Rights Campaign.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Served on board for school that condemned LGBTQ people.
Tom Udall: Strong advocate for Native American tribes.
Eric Garcetti: Launched reparations initiative for Black Americans.
Cedric Richmond: Violence is not protest; that is breaking the law.
Amy Coney Barrett: Require due process for student sexual violence suspensions.
Gina Raimondo: Signs law helping gay veterans get state and local benefits.
Brett Kavanaugh: First Amendment protects religious liberty.
James Mattis: Opposed women serving in infantry; but will allow it.
James Mattis: Not about who soldiers go to bed with, but how they'll fight.
Jeff Sessions: 1986: Denied confirmation as federal judge.
Jeff Sessions: 1986: Called NAACP a "pinko" organization that hates whites.
Merrick Garland: Spotty record on supporting LGBT protests and free speech.
Ruth Bader Ginsburg: Let women sue for gender discrimination without time limits.
Elena Kagan: Military ban on gays is moral injustice of the first order.
Merrick Garland: Let civil rights plaintiffs receive appropriate day in Court.
Sonia Sotomayor: In some situations, race in some form must be considered.
Jeff Sessions: Banning the Pledge of Allegiance is unconstitutional.
Mike DeWine: Disturbed by “free speech zones” in public arena.
Sam Brownback: Robustly religious public square better than naked square.
Samuel Alito: Overturning separate-but-equal OK despite 60-year precedent.
Samuel Alito: Treat religious speech equally with secular speech.
Samuel Alito: Racial profiling violates the 4th Amendment.
Samuel Alito: I joined CAP to defend ROTC, not to keep out minorities.
Ted Kennedy: Alito joined CAP when CAP’s racism was in the news.
Samuel Alito: Privacy is a question of interpretation of the Constitution.
Samuel Alito: The Constitution protects a right to privacy.
Samuel Alito: The President has to comply with statutes that are passed.
Gale Norton: Top priority to improve Native American schools.
John Ashcroft: As Attorney General, upholds law; no longer an advocate.
John Ashcroft: No American should suffer based on skin color.
John Ashcroft: Opposed Ronnie White on qualifications, not on skin color.
Clarence Thomas: Tension between affirmative help and undermining dignity.
Clarence Thomas: Reaching out to minorities is OK; but no quotas.
Clarence Thomas: Supports scholarships & internships for minorities & women.
Cedric Richmond: CEO's create jobs & deserve a seat at the table.
Brett Kavanaugh: Federal regulatory agencies are threat to individual liberty.
Wilbur Ross: CEO of International Coal Group, plus Steel & Textiles.
Neil Gorsuch: Taught law school courses on anti-trust and legal ethics.
Linda McMahon: SBA should respond quickly in emergencies.
Neil Gorsuch: Don't apply "dormant commerce clause" to limit state laws.
Samuel Alito: Bundling goods to large purchasers is not monopolistic.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Prisons must evaluate and accommodate deaf prisoners.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Miranda warning not required outside of police interrogation.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: No expectation of privacy when not in your apartment.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Denied release of child pornographer as risk to community.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Pushed to commute uncle's sentence under "three strikes" law.
Rahm Emanuel: Sat on video evidence of police murder of black teen.
Cedric Richmond: Unlike last four years, an independent Justice Department.
Cedric Richmond: Reach out to conservatives & formerly incarcerated people.
Brett Kavanaugh: Work to reduce criminal's protections.
Neil Gorsuch: Police can't knock-and-talk if you post No-Trespassing signs.
Neil Gorsuch: Police tasers aren't excessive force, even if person killed.
Neil Gorsuch: Very strict reading of relief criteria for death penalty.
Jeff Sessions: Increase in violent crime might be start of dangerous trend.
Elena Kagan: Death penalty is constitutional, but requires due process.
Sonia Sotomayor: Death penalty is constitutional under certain situations.
Russell Feingold: Death penalty defendants often don’t get adequate counsel.
Russell Feingold: Alito votes more pro-death penalty than most GOP judges.
Samuel Alito: Overruled by Supreme Court on death penalty adequate counsel.
Samuel Alito: Congress limits judicial review of death penalty cases.
Clarence Thomas: Balance victim’s rights with defendant’s rights.
Clarence Thomas: Due process in death penalty cases, but limited restrictions.
Clarence Thomas: Uniform sentencing guidelines have eliminated much disparity.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: 100-to-one crack-powder penalty distinction unwarranted.
Jeff Sessions: Marijuana is not funny and is in fact a very real danger.
Jeff Sessions: We are in the throes of a heroin epidemic.
Merrick Garland: Let DEA decide whether marijuana has any medical benefits.
Elena Kagan: Individual suspicion required before administering drug test.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: On Harvard Board of Overseers; will recuse on Harvard case.
Cedric Richmond: COVID: Reopening schools is one of our top priorities.
Brett Kavanaugh: The wall between religious schools and states must come down.
Betsy DeVos: Nothing is free; someone has to pay for "free tuition".
Betsy DeVos: No longer believe in one-size-fits-all model of learning.
Joe Biden: Princeton was last Ivy holdout to admit women & minorities.
Sam Brownback: Stare decisis would have upheld separate-but-equal.
Margaret Spellings: No Child Left Behind works.
Clarence Thomas: God in schools creates values; but wall of separation needed.
Energy & Oil|
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Can't use EPA review to stop oil pipelines.
Eric Garcetti: Led more than 400 mayors to adopt Paris Climate agreement.
Eric Garcetti: Can't get our climate goals with India hitting its goals.
Ken Salazar: Allowed Arctic oil exploration; defends fracking.
Ken Salazar: Dealt with oil spill in Gulf of Mexico as Sec'y of Interior.
Jennifer Granholm: On company boards for electric charging stations, buses.
Jennifer Granholm: By investing in clean energy, America can lead on climate.
Jennifer Granholm: Combating climate change is an economic opportunity.
Cedric Richmond: Carbon neutrality by 2050 will require building coalitions.
Ken Salazar: Opposed Colorado initiative increasing drilling setbacks.
Brett Kavanaugh: Favors ethanol & clean energy over fossil fuel.
Ryan Zinke: Climate is changing; Man is an influence but what can we do?
Gale Norton: Balance energy needs with environmental protection.
Gale Norton: Will expedite natural gas exploitation in Alaska.
Gale Norton: Have open mind on global warming; there’s no consensus.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Rejected challenge to forest management regulations.
Ken Salazar: Implemented 20-year ban on uranium mining on public lands.
Brett Kavanaugh: Suspicious of regulations on environment and worker safety.
Brett Kavanaugh: Dissents on EPA's blocking permit for strip mining operation.
Neil Gorsuch: Mother ran EPA; accused of being soft on polluters.
Ryan Zinke: Absolutely against transfer or sale of public land to states.
Ryan Zinke: Smokey the Bear should be viewed as helpful, not as police.
Ben Carson: Deregulation includes land use & federal housing policy.
Merrick Garland: Supports EPA's anti-haze regulations.
Sonia Sotomayor: Government taking to develop a blighted area was appropriate.
Dianne Feinstein: Citizens need standing to sue under Clean Water Act.
Samuel Alito: Citizens can only sue under CWA if they suffered injury.
Samuel Alito: Ruling on standing is not ruling against the environment.
Gale Norton: Protecting national parks is a common goal & a priority.
Gale Norton: Decision makers in D.C. should listen to all voices.
Gale Norton: Will use all resources of Interior to make best decisions.
Gale Norton: Norton vows to uphold laws such as Endangered Species Act.
Gale Norton: Clinton designations of national monuments to be reviewed.
Gale Norton: Will balance conservationists’ and off-roaders’ needs.
Gale Norton: Never advocated “right to pollute”.
Gale Norton: Proud of working to protect California condor.
Families & Children|
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Decide child pornography based on intent, not just actions.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: 2018: Keep Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Don't require religious employers to cover contraception.
Marty Walsh: Pushed for six weeks paid parental leave for city workers.
Brett Kavanaugh: Allow churches to exclude contraceptives from insurance.
Mick Mulvaney: $15,000 in unpaid nanny taxes from triplets in 2000.
Tom Barrett: Named ambassador to Luxembourg; many emigres in Wisconsin.
Rahm Emanuel: Japan alliance cornerstone of peace & prosperity in region.
Caroline Kennedy: As ambassador, sternly warned China about military actions.
Jeff Flake: Did not oppose sale of F-35 aircraft to Turkey.
Tom Udall: Ambassador to New Zealand & Samoa: work on China threats.
Jeff Flake: Partner with Congress on U.S. voice around the world.
Jeff Flake: Opposed Congressional efforts to recognize Armenian Genocide.
Jeff Flake: U.S. foreign policy can and should be bipartisan.
Eric Garcetti: Studied Hindi & Urdu; Master's in international affairs.
Tom Udall: Udall appointment strategic; New Zealand important ally.
Ken Salazar: Mexican press supportive of appointment as ambassador.
Ken Salazar: Appointment praised by Mexican ambassador to US.
Caroline Kennedy: Being first woman ambassador to Japan a great privilege.
Caroline Kennedy: Problems that affect us locally need global solutions.
James Mattis: Putin is trying to break the North Atlantic alliance.
James Mattis: Supports NATO alliance principle of collective defense.
Mike Pompeo: Investigate Russian interference with U.S. election.
Rex Tillerson: Join with NATO allies alarmed at Russian resurgence.
Tom Coburn: Justices citing foreign law is bad behavior.
Samuel Alito: Don’t look to foreign law for civil rights interpretation.
Clarence Thomas: Supported stock divestiture from South Africa.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Use only government data to set tobacco import subsidies.
Wilbur Ross: Criticized multinational trade deals: there is no free lunch.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Judges should defer to expert opinion of federal agencies.
Clarence Thomas: Executive privilege applies to Trump's Jan. 6 documents.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: No executive privilege for Trump's Jan. 6 documents.
Cedric Richmond: Let's be frank with American people about coronavirus.
Marcia Fudge: Money earmarked for cities shouldn't go to governors.
Brett Kavanaugh: Upholds Supreme Court's ruling on campaign finance limits.
Brett Kavanaugh: President answers to impeachment, not to criminal charges.
Brett Kavanaugh: Federal agencies follow Congress, not make new regulations.
Marty Walsh: Voter intimidation against the law & won't be tolerated.
Neil Gorsuch: Strict originalist: interpret Constitution as Founders meant.
Ryan Zinke: Work with states and rebuild national parks.
Mike Pompeo: Russian hacking impact 2016 election & not the first time.
Neil Gorsuch: Administrative law: end the Chevron deference.
Jeff Sessions: 1986: Voting Rights Act of 1965 is "intrusive legislation".
Jeff Sessions: The South has changed; no longer any need to monitor voting.
Elena Kagan: I believed in opposing Citizens United, but we lost.
John Roberts: States waive sovereign immunity by accepting federal funds.
Merrick Garland: Preference for open & transparent government, like FOIA.
Sonia Sotomayor: The president can veto laws but not make them.
Jeff Sessions: Supreme Court exceeds its authority and needs reining in.
Samuel Alito: Over-reaching by Court undermines respect for law.
Samuel Alito: No one is above the law and no one is beneath the law.
Samuel Alito: Supports one-person-one-vote within a deviation of 10%.
Samuel Alito: Supports stare decisis--following prior precedents.
Samuel Alito: Executive power issues are not often resolved by the court.
Samuel Alito: Constitution is a living thing, with unchanging principles.
Arlen Specter: Nominees only answer as many questions as they have to.
Patrick Leahy: Justices should effectively check government overreaching.
Richard Durbin: Justices should not restrict our rights and freedoms.
Jennifer Granholm: Committed to implementing science-based policy.
Clarence Thomas: Judges should not impose their will, but just interpret law.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Has never affirmed individual right to guns.
Gina Raimondo: Pushed for a permanent ban on 3D-printed guns.
Marty Walsh: Proposed giving money to states that enact gun regulation.
Brett Kavanaugh: Banning semiautomatic rifles & handgun registration unlawful.
Brett Kavanaugh: Semiautomatic rifles are not a dangerous and unusual weapon.
Marty Walsh: Called out McConnell for blocking background checks bill.
Betsy DeVos: Let local schools decide about guns in school.
Donald Trump: End gun-free zones in schools & military bases.
Neil Gorsuch: Knowingly possessing a gun illegally isn't a felony.
Jeff Sessions: As US attorney, led nation in gun prosecutions every year.
Elena Kagan: 2nd Amendment confers individual right, not broad principle.
Jeff Sessions: 2nd Amendment is a specific provision, not a broad principle.
Patrick Leahy: Heller case established a fundamental individual right.
Sonia Sotomayor: The Second Amendment gives an individual right to bear arms.
Sonia Sotomayor: Many factors influence Congress's powers on gun control.
Jennifer Granholm: Regrets signing stand-your-ground law in 2006.
Rahm Emanuel: Wrote op-ed "Medicare-for-All is a Pipe Dream".
Rahm Emanuel: Cut deal continuing ban on negotiating on prescription drugs.
Brett Kavanaugh: Supports big healthcare mergers if they save consumer costs.
Tom Price: Give every American access to affordable health coverage.
Tom Price: No right to Medicaid under state block grants.
Neil Gorsuch: Let Christian nursing home opt out of ObamaCare.
Ben Carson: There's a strong connection between health and housing.
Neil Gorsuch: Wrote book on Assisted Suicide, and opposes it.
Samuel Alito: Ok to refuse medical treatment; but assisted suicide not ok.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Defended accused terrorist while her brother was in Iraq.
Lloyd Austin: Proud to be first African American to head Defense.
Lloyd Austin: Democracy demands competent civilian control of military.
Jennifer Granholm: DOE ensures the safety of the country's nuclear arsenal.
Brett Kavanaugh: Government metadata collection prevents terrorist attacks.
Mick Mulvaney: Raise the top line defense number.
James Mattis: Bring business reforms to the Department of Defense.
James Mattis: Don't revisit old issues; let women in combat roles.
Mike Pompeo: No torture, including coercive methods like waterboarding.
Merrick Garland: Let Abu Ghraib torture victims sue their torturers.
Elena Kagan: Al Qaeda suspects should be held under indefinite detention.
Elena Kagan: Oppose Solomon Amendment: let colleges bar ROTC recruiting.
Elena Kagan: 2009: Ok to detain enemy combatants in wartime without trial.
Patrick Leahy: Bush thinks anti-torture statue doesn’t apply to him.
Samuel Alito: President can be challenged for not following Congress’ laws.
Samuel Alito: Government needs to justify domestic spying.
Ted Kennedy: All-powerful executive branch is genuinely troubling.
Elena Kagan: Apply rule of law to Guantanamo detainees.
Donald Rumsfeld: Deploy missile defense at home and for allies abroad.
Donald Rumsfeld: Involve Russia in negotiations about SDI & nukes.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Trump administration set asylum seeking standards too high.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Due process for immigrants regardless of legal status.
Jeff Flake: Was part of bipartisan Gang of Eight on immigration reform.
Ken Salazar: Border relationships are about building trust, not walls.
Alejandro Mayorkas: Would not abolish nor defund ICE; it plays a critical role.
Alejandro Mayorkas: Border is varied; monolithic answer like wall isn't needed.
Alejandro Mayorkas: Was chief architect of DACA; opponents call this a negative.
John F. Kelly: Enforce deportation of DREAMers because it's the law.
Amy Coney Barrett: Let embassies abroad reject visas for any reason.
Brett Kavanaugh: Two cases shine light on leaning towards anti-immigration.
Jennifer Granholm: DACA fix has to happen, lift the cap on visas.
Herbert Kohl: Alito sided against immigrants 88% of the time.
Samuel Alito: Voted against immigrants because Congress set law that way.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Follows precedent in workplace racial discrimination cases.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Lengthy discovery needed in employment discrimination cases.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Reversed narrowing of federal collective bargaining rules.
Janet Yellen: Addressing working women issues would be good for economy.
Jennifer Granholm: Worked to foster job growth in advance energy sector.
Jennifer Granholm: Environmental equity: jobs & benefits to those hardest hit.
Brett Kavanaugh: Congress decides worker safety issues, not regulatory agency.
Merrick Garland: Regulatory agency decides worker safety issues, not Congress.
Elena Kagan: Let Congress fix problems like Ledbetter Act, not judges.
Jeff Sessions: Courts shouldn't overrule Congress on job discrimination.
Sonia Sotomayor: The Supreme Court's Ricci decision set a new standard.
Principles & Values|
Ketanji Brown Jackson: OpEd: does affirmative action apply to qualified nominees?
Ketanji Brown Jackson: I do not have a judicial philosophy per se.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Religious liberty is foundational tenet of our government.
Joe Donnelly: Irish Catholic faith deeply important.
Joe Donnelly: Appointed as U.S. Ambassador to the Holy See.
Rahm Emanuel: OpEd: Foul-mouthed, sharp-elbowed, impudent prima donna.
Jeff Flake: Impeachment: we didn't convict Trump. We should have.
Tom Udall: Work across the aisle; build relationships and coalitions.
Eric Garcetti: First Jewish mayor of Los Angeles since 1878.
Eric Garcetti: Will always be an Angeleno; committed my life to service.
Tom Udall: Udall a troubled optimist; Senate is broken and not working.
Tom Udall: Udall comes from a family of American politicians.
Ken Salazar: Fifth-generation Coloradan; ranch in San Luis Valley.
Jeff Flake: Without principled fidelity to truth, democracy won't last.
Jeff Flake: Today's GOP: where there's no greater offense than honesty.
Jeff Flake: We did not become a great nation by espousing nonsense.
Alejandro Mayorkas: US is welcoming nation; finds strength in diversity.
Alejandro Mayorkas: Left Cuba with parents as a child to escape communism.
Alejandro Mayorkas: Views himself as a proud member of the Jewish community.
Merrick Garland: Recused himself from federal cases during consideration.
Pete Buttigieg: Transportation makes the American dream possible.
Susan Rice: Foreign economic & domestic imperatives deeply intertwined.
Deb Haaland: First Native American to head Interior Department.
Marcia Fudge: Always wanted to be a voice for people who have no voice.
Marcia Fudge: Eradicating poverty gives people sense of pride and dignity.
Cedric Richmond: Goal is connections regardless of political affiliation.
Amy Coney Barrett: Member of the conservative People of Praise faith community.
Caroline Kennedy: Profile in Courage Award to honor COVID frontline workers.
Merrick Garland: Praised by Brett Kavanaugh: "He's been a role model to me".
Sally Yates: AG should say no to president in order to obey the law.
Neil Gorsuch: Ok to display donated Ten Commandments in public park.
James Mattis: Dislikes nickname Mad Dog Mattis.
Jeff Sessions: Total fidelity to the laws and the Constitution.
Arlen Specter: Senate speaks to entire Supreme Court during hearings.
Charles Schumer: Alito responds, but doesn’t really answer questions.
Samuel Alito: Pledge of recusal does not last for 12 years.
Samuel Alito: Constitution doesn’t change but the factual situations do.
Samuel Alito: All the courts should be insulated from public opinion.
Charles Schumer: Nominees must prove they’re not extreme.
John Cornyn: Justices should respect law, not impose political agendas.
Samuel Alito: 1960s Princeton: “privileged people behaving irresponsibly”.
Samuel Alito: Good judges can change their minds during a case.
Samuel Alito: Attorneys want results; judges want only the rule of law.
Samuel Alito: Pledges to administer justice without respect to persons.
Gale Norton: Proud of being conservative and a conservationist.
Gale Norton: Promises to enforce nation’s environmental laws.
Gale Norton: Consult with affected people before making decisions.
Brett Kavanaugh: Enthusiastic preference to privatize social security.
Samuel Alito: Disability benefits apply if job category dissapears.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Don't blame car sound systems for illegal music copying.
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Wheelchair anti-discrimination laws do apply to Uber.
Eric Garcetti: Continued transit buildup & tougher earthquake standards.
Jennifer Granholm: Advocates for manufacturing, domestic R&D efforts.
Brett Kavanaugh: Allow sweeping surveillance of Americans' phone records.
Brett Kavanaugh: Net neutrality regulations violate the First Amendment.
Mike Pompeo: Re-establish collection of all metadata; make it searchable.
James Mattis: Cyber domain presents new challenge to maintain US advantage.
Arlen Specter: Supreme Court proceedings should be televised.
Samuel Alito: Voted to televise 3rd Circuit court.
War & Peace|
Brett Kavanaugh: Congressional authority needed for major foreign conflicts.
James Mattis: Iran is single most enduring threat to stability and peace.
Mike Pompeo: I opposed Iran deal; I'll gather clear-eyed info about it.
James Mattis: ISIS has metastasized & remains a resilient movement.
James Mattis: Iran is the leading state sponsor of terror.
James Mattis: Supports the Iran nuclear agreement.
Rex Tillerson: Opposed US sanctions against Russia over Crimea annexation.
Rex Tillerson: Destroy the Islamic State; be wary of China's behavior.
Samuel Alito: President does not have a blank check in time of war.
Welfare & Poverty|
Ketanji Brown Jackson: Continue pandemic-related eviction moratorium.
Eric Garcetti: Worked on adding homeless shelters & affordable housing.
Marcia Fudge: HUD/Agriculture can work together feeding hungry children.
Ben Carson: Housing integration is ok, but why must residents solve it?
Ben Carson: Ideal is every person in a home; but we don't have the funds.
Jeff Sessions: Basic tradition is opportunity to work hard & keep fruits.
Jeff Sessions: Eminent domain for private development is Court over-reach.
Samuel Alito: Eminent domain affects emotions, not just money.
Clarence Thomas: Public housing entitlements are good programs.
The above quotations are from Congressional confirmation hearings for Supreme Court and Cabinet nominees.
Error processing SSI file