Mike Pompeo on Gun Control
Allow veterans to register unlicensed guns acquired abroad.
Pompeo co-sponsored Veterans' Heritage Firearms Act
Source: HR420/S798 11-HR0420 on Jan 25, 2011
- Provides a 90-day amnesty period during which veterans and their family members can register in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record any firearm acquired before October 31, 1968, by a veteran while a member of the Armed Forces stationed outside the continental United States.
- Grants such an individual limited immunity with respect to the acquisition, possession, transportation, or alteration of such firearm before or concurrent with such registration.
Extends such immunity to a veteran who attempts to register a qualifying firearm outside of the amnesty period if the veteran surrenders the firearm within 30 days after being notified of potential criminal liability for continued possession.
- Transfers each firearm qualifying as a curio or relic which has been forfeited to the United States to the first qualified museum that requests it
- Publishes information identifying each such firearm which is available to be transferred to a museum.
- Makes a prohibition against transfer or possession of a machine-gun inapplicable to museums.
Recognize heritage of hunting & shooting on federal lands.
Pompeo signed Recreational Fishing & Hunting Heritage & Opportunities Act
A BILL: To recognize the heritage of recreational fishing, hunting, and shooting on Federal public lands and ensure continued opportunities for these activities.
Congress finds that:THEREFORE:
- recreational fishing and hunting are important and traditional activities in which millions of Americans participate
- recreational anglers and hunters have been and continue to be among the foremost supporters of sound fish and wildlife management and conservation in the US
- recreational fishing and hunting are environmentally acceptable and beneficial activities that occur and can be provided on Federal public lands and waters without adverse effects
- recreational anglers, hunters, and sporting organizations provide direct assistance to fish and wildlife managers and enforcement officers by investing volunteer time and effort to fish and wildlife conservation
- recreational anglers & hunters, and the associated industries have generated billions of dollars of critical funding by
providing revenues from purchases of fishing and hunting licenses, permits, and stamps, as well as excise taxes on fishing, hunting, and shooting equipment
- recreational shooting is also an important and traditional activity in which millions of Americans participate, safe recreational shooting is a valid use of Federal public lands, and participation in recreational shooting helps recruit and retain hunters and contributes to wildlife conservation
Source: H.R.2834 11-HR2834 on Sep 2, 2011
- the public interest would be served, and our citizens' fish and wildlife resources benefitted, by action to ensure that opportunities are facilitated to engage in fishing and hunting on Federal public land
- Subject to valid existing rights, Federal public land management officials shall exercise their authority under existing law, including provisions regarding land use planning, to facilitate use of and access to Federal public lands and waters for fishing & sport hunting.
Page last updated: Feb 28, 2019