Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Vice Presidential possibilities for 2020
(Click for external website)
This collection of excerpts comes from articles about and interviews of 2020 Democratic vice-presidential prospects.
Often candidates stay in the presidential race, long after they can no longer hope for the presidential nomination,
to position themselves for consideration for the vice presidency.
News coverage and interviews during 2019-2020, for the 2020 vice-presidential contenders (sources for issue excerpts):
- Counterpunch.org political e-zine, "Kamala Harris Represents Everything Wrong with Empty Identity Politics," by Peter Bolton, August 17, 2020
- New York Times, "Kamala Harris on the Issues: Race, Policing, Health Care and Education." by Matt Stevens, Thomas Kaplan and Stephanie Saul, 8/11/2020
- NPR.org, "Touting Her Experience, Susan Rice Makes Her Case for Biden's VP Slot," by Barbara Sprunt, August 4, 2020
- Politico.com e-zine, "Karen Bass renounces her praise for Fidel Castro," by Zachary Warmbrodt, 08/02/2020
- Foreign Policy newsjournal, "The Risks of Susan Rice," by Michael Hirsh, July 29, 2020
- CatholicWorldReport.com, "Analysis: Where Biden's VP shortlist stands on abortion," July 28, 2020
- New York Times, "Take the Next Step Toward Racial Justice," by Susan E. Rice, July 21, 2020
- Counterpunch.org political e-zine, "The U.S. Struggle for Justice for Palestine Begins a New Chapter," by Mary Miller & Ariel Gold, July 17, 2020
- National Review, "Susan Rice Blames 'Foreign Actors' for Stirring George Floyd Protests," by Zachary Evans, June 1, 2020
- Counterpunch.org political e-zine, "Is Stacey Abrams Progressive?," by Deborah Toler, May 28, 2020
- MintPress News, "A history of racist policing, thanks to Klobuchar," by Alan Macleod, May 27, 2020
- (NBC Meet the Press): interview of Stacey Abrams & Gretchen Whitmer, April 26, 2020
- ABC This Week, interview of Amy Klobuchar, April 26, 2020
- Wikipedia background: Sally Yates, 4/25/20
- NBC Meet the Press interview of Mike Pence, April 19, 2020
- CNN State of the Union, interview of Michelle Lujan-Grisham, April 12, 2020
- Medium.com blog, "New Steps to Ease Economic Burden on Working People," by Joe Biden, April 9, 2020
- WorldNetDaily e-zine, "Elizabeth Warren pushes for universal vote-by-mail amid pandemic," April 8, 2020
- Breitbart.com: "Susan Rice: Trump's 'Utter Incompetence' Has Cost Tens of Thousands of American Lives," by Pam Key, 6 Apr 2020
- Common Dreams, "Sanders Demands Trump Rescind 'Truly Outrageous' Decision to Hand Gilead Exclusive Rights," by Jake Johnson, March 25, 2020
- Meet the Press interview of Sen. Bernie Sanders, March 8, 2020
- Press Release cortezmasto.senate.gov, "Cortez Masto Introduces Legislation to Increase Diversity In Corporate Leadership," March 05, 2020
- The Daily Beast, "Donald Trump Takes Coronavirus So Seriously He Just Put Mike Pence in Charge," by Erin Banco & Asawin Suebsaeng, Feb. 26, 2020
- Press Release cortezmasto.senate.gov, "Cortez Masto, Rosen Applaud $20 Million in EPA Funding for Clean Water," February 25, 2020
- Slate e-zine, "Amy Klobuchar Embodies the Politics of No," by Lili Loofbourow, Feb 22, 2020
- Salon e-zine, "What we've learned about Elizabeth Warren's feminism: She's no 'moderate'," by Amanda Marcotte, February 21, 2020
- WorldNetDaily, "Watch Stacey Abrams push for going 'around' Constitution in election," February 19, 2020
- WorldNetDaily, "Amy Klobuchar is the ultimate #GirlBoss," February 14, 2020
- Press Release cortezmasto.senate.gov, "Cortez Masto, Rosen, Risch Introduce Bill to Help Protect Small Businesses from Cyber Attacks", Jan. 24, 2020
- Space.com, "Vice President Pence urges NASA on moon-Mars goal," by Mike Wall, 2/19/2020
- Reporter Newspapers, "Atlanta mayor calls for shielding records of low-level marijuana offenses," by John Ruch, Dec 16, 2019
- Nashua Telegraph, "Animal cruelty is officially now a federal crime," by Casey Junkins, Nov 28, 2019
- Council on Foreign Relations: "Distinguished Voices Series with Susan E. Rice," November 14, 2019
- CBS Face the Nation, interview of Vice President Mike Pence, October 27, 2019
- Washington Free Beacon, "Atlanta Mayor: Millions of People Don't Want Their Private Insurance Abolished," by Graham Piro, 8/28/19
- CNN State of the Union, interview of Rep. Tim Ryan, August 25, 2019
- ABC This Week, interview of Stacey Abrams, August 18, 2019
- ABC This Week, interview of Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, August 18, 2019
- Fox News Sunday, interview of Gov. Steve Bullock, Aug 18, 2019
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Rep. Beto O`Rourke, Aug 18, 2019
- CBS Face the Nation, interview of Senators Kirsten Gillibrand and Michael Bennet, Aug 11, 2019
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Sen. Kamala Harris, Aug 11, 2019
- NewsFOX 5 Atlanta, "Atlanta mayor, others call for action on guns," August 8, 2019
- The National Review, "Joe Sestak: The Most Interesting Democrat You Forgot Was Running," by Jim Geraghty, August 6, 2019
- CBS Face the Nation, interview of Rep. Beto O`Rourke, Aug 4, 2019
- NBC Meet the Press, interview of Secretary Julian Castro, Aug 4, 2019
- ABC This Week, interview of Secretary Julian Castro, August 4, 2019
- Atlanta Progressive News, "Mayor Bottoms Testifies to U.S. Senate on Climate Change," by Matthew Charles Cardinale, 7/25/19
- The Hill, "Sally Yates: Moral fiber of US being 'stredded by unapologetic racism'," by John Bowden, 7/18/2019
- Breitbart.com, "Joe Sestak on 'Undocumented' Immigrants: 'We Need Them'," by Robert Kraychik, 16 Jul 2019
- Shadow and Act e-zine, "Atlanta's Mayor Working On Plan For Hollywood Money To Be Spent In Georgia," June 14, 2019
- Atlanta Magazine, "Keisha's no Kasim: Inside Bottoms's very different City Hall," by Thomas Wheatley. May 23, 2019
- Detroit Free Press, "Kamala Harris takes on President Trump in Detroit speech to NAACP," by Kathleen Gray, May 5, 2019
- DailyKos.com: "Sally Yates--the 'Steel Magnolia'--for 2020," March 11, 2019
- Washington Post, "It's Time for Congress to Establish the Space Force," by Mike Pence, March 4, 2019
- Project Q Magazine, "Atlanta mayor decries 'dangerous and discriminatory' trans troop ban," by Patrick Saunders, Jan 23, 2019
- New Yorker magazine, "Why Sally Yates Stood Up to Trump," by Ryan Lizza, May 22, 2017
- Esquire magazine, "Sally Yates Dismantled Ted Cruz, and Michael Flynn Seems Like a Hooked Fish," by Charles P. Pierce, May 8, 2017
- The New Yorker, "Why Sally Yates Stood Up to Trump," by Ryan Lizza, 5.29.17
- Buzzfeed blog: "Interview with Susan Rice," by Eleanor Kagan, December 28, 2016
- WorldNetDaily e-zine, "Meet GOP doctor fighting for Harry Reid's seat," by Greg Corombos, October 29, 2016
- TheDailyBeast.com: "NH's Dem Guv Says No to Syrian Refugees," by Betsy Swan, Nov. 16, 2015
- Lathan & Watkins: Client Alert Commentary, "Enforcement actions prioritize individuals", by Sally Yates, 9/15/2015
- Buzzfeed blog, "You Don't Need Mandatory Prison Sentences To Put The Right Drug Criminals In Jail," by Evan McMorris-Santoro, July 22, 2015
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Susan Rice: Disagrees with son: she's pro-choice, he's pro-life.
Kamala Harris: A staunch supporter of legal protection for abortion.
Kamala Harris: Hyde Amendment denies poor women reproductive health care.
Karen Bass: 100% ratings from NARAL & Planned Parenthood.
Val Demings: 100% ratings from NARAL & Planned Parenthood.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Support Atlanta business in face of heartbill bill bans.
Budget & Economy|
Gretchen Whitmer: Incredibly dangerous to say that states declare bankruptcy.
Elizabeth Warren: Second income from spouses didn't make families wealthier.
Susan Rice: Confident black women inadvertently intimidate certain men.
Susan Rice: Senate blocked police reforms & new Voting Rights Act.
Kamala Harris: Challenged Biden's opposition to busing.
Michelle Lujan-Grisham: Study social distancing practices while protecting privacy.
Stacey Abrams: Voter suppression is rigging the game.
Kamala Harris: Must speak the truth about racism & other forms of hate.
Kamala Harris: Russian election interference exploited racial divide.
Sally Yates: Not fighting racism is ruinous to moral fiber of America.
Sally Yates: Religious freedom is a defining, founding principle of US.
Catherine Cortez Masto: Introduces bill to encourage diversity on corporate boards.
Sally Yates: Individuals can be held liable for corporate crimes.
Kamala Harris: Tough prosecutor; but for reform as candidate.
Amy Klobuchar: Appealed conviction downgrading felony to avoid deportation.
Julian Castro: We must do something about "toxic brew of white nationalism".
Sally Yates: Seeking justice means seeking a proportional sentence.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Restricts minor marijuana charges from background checks.
Sally Yates: Mandatory minimum sentences not needed in drug cases.
Susan Rice: Free public college for families earning under $125,000/year.
Energy & Oil|
Keisha Lance Bottoms: 100% clean energy for Atlanta by 2035.
Amy Klobuchar: Supports EPA agreement on St. Louis River contamination.
Catherine Cortez Masto: Applauds EPA funding to protect Nevada's surface water.
Jeanne Shaheen: Bipartisan support for making animal cruelty a federal crime.
Maggie Hassan: Bipartisan support for making animal cruelty a federal crime.
Karen Bass: Position on Castro evolved from "Jefe" to "brutal".
Bernie Sanders: Signed letter opposing Israeli annexation of territories.
Elizabeth Warren: Signed letter opposing Israeli annexation of territories.
Susan Rice: Worked to bring allies together to address challenges.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Israel went in wrong direction barring Congressional visit.
Susan Rice: Deal with challenge from China in lockstep with allies.
Beto O`Rourke: Enforce high standards for labor, environment, human rights.
Kirsten Gillibrand: NAFTA 2.0 is a disaster; trade war harms producers.
Steve Bullock: Farmers want trade, they don't want aid.
Amy Klobuchar: Protect voting rights with early voting, mail-in ballots.
Gretchen Whitmer: Encouraging people to vote by mail.
Elizabeth Warren: Vote by mail is an easy solution to pandemic restrictions.
Amy Klobuchar: Expand early voting, no excuse absentee vote by mail.
Stacey Abrams: Get rid of classist, racist Electoral College.
Donald Trump: Against mail-in voting, early voting as terrible, dishonest.
Kamala Harris: New voting rights act; make Election Day a holiday.
Tim Ryan: Supports universal background checks.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Machine gun registration is framework for assault weapons.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Senate would pass gun laws if allowed to vote.
Michael Bennet: Background checks work in Colorado, should work nationally.
Julian Castro: The answer to mass shooting is not more guns.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Congress should enact gun safety legislation immediately.
Kamala Harris: Supports single-payer without private insurance.
Gretchen Whitmer: Be nimble, follow the science, be smart on reopening.
Stacey Abrams: Increase production for coronavirus testing; expand Medicaid.
Mike Pence: Coronavirus testing is state managed but federally supported.
Mike Pence: Smoking doesn't kill; 90% of smokers don't get lung cancer.
Susan Rice: Ebola crisis: would have resigned if Obama closed the border.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Keep ObamaCare without giving up private health insurance.
Susan Rice: Prepared "pandemic for dummies" playbook for successors.
Susan Rice: Russia may have helped stir up violent protests.
Kirsten Gillibrand: White supremacists are domestic terrorists.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Trans military ban dangerous and discriminatory policy.
Sally Yates: Refused to defend 2017 Muslim ban; dismissed as AG.
Steve Bullock: Immigration should not be used to rip country apart.
Kamala Harris: Hold companies liable for hiring non-citizens, not workers.
Joe Sestak: Illegal immigrants should pay fine; get to back of the line.
Joe Sestak: Immigration "of all types" helps our economy.
Joe Sestak: Support economic development to stem tide of refugees.
Sally Yates: Refused to defend unconstitutional Muslim ban.
Sally Yates: Muslim travel ban violates religious freedom.
Maggie Hassan: Stop allowing Syrian refugees into the US.
Principles & Values|
Howie Hawkins: Picked actual progressive woman of color as running mate.
Kamala Harris: OpEd: Checks gender and race boxes, but not a progressive.
Susan Rice: Against divisiveness; Americans sink or swim together.
Stacey Abrams: Joined corporate wing of Democrats, rather than Bernie wing.
Stacey Abrams: If I didn't speak up for myself, no one else would.
Susan Rice: Trump has displayed utter lack of leadership, incompetence.
Amy Klobuchar: A passion for political compromise.
Amy Klobuchar: OpEd: Reputation for screaming & demeaning staff.
Susan Rice: Learned if you're knocked down, how to get back up.
Susan Rice: Give your honest and best advice to whom you're serving.
Beto O`Rourke: Deliver on issues but address threat Trump is to democracy.
Beto O`Rourke: Trump espouses racism & division, but problem predates him.
Julian Castro: President should bring people together, not divide.
Keisha Lance Bottoms: Don't just go along with what I say; push back.
Sally Yates: Promised not to obey an unlawful order; that's what I did.
Sally Yates: Change doesn't happen with people sitting on their behinds.
Kamala Harris: Tax break for people unable to pay unexpected expense.
Mike Pence: Send pioneers to Mars, by any means necessary.
Catherine Cortez Masto: Co-sponsored bill to protect small business from cyberattack.
Tim Ryan: Chief manufacturing officer will move US on green technology.
Kamala Harris: We're very vulnerable to cyber threats.
Mike Pence: Adversaries have weaponized space; solution is Space Force.
War & Peace|
Susan Rice: Withdrawal of troops from Germany is special gift to Putin.
Susan Rice: Fell short in Libya by failing to be engaged in aftermath.
Susan Rice: Humanitarian crisis: sometimes intervene, sometimes not.
Mike Pence: Grateful Trump is always focused on safety of troops.
Sally Yates: Not intervening against Assad was the right choice.
Catherine Cortez Masto: OpEd: Supported Iran nuclear deal as quid-pro-quo.
Welfare & Poverty|
Susan Rice: 1994: Regrets no U.S. intervention in Rwandan genocide.
The above quotations are from Vice Presidential possibilities for 2020.