Books by and about 2020 presidential candidates|
| Crippled America,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Fire and Fury,|
by Michael Wolff (2018)
| Trump Revealed,|
by Michael Kranish and Marc Fisher (2016)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2016)
| Promise Me, Dad ,|
by Joe Biden (2017)
| The Book of Joe ,|
by Jeff Wilser (2019; biography of Joe Biden)
| The Truths We Hold,|
by Kamala Harris (2019)
| Smart on Crime,|
by Kamala Harris (2010)
| Guide to Political Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2017)
| Where We Go From Here,|
by Bernie Sanders (2018)
| Our Revolution,|
by Bernie Sanders (2016)
| This Fight Is Our Fight,|
by Elizabeth Warren (2017)
by Cory Booker (2016)
|Conscience of a Conservative,|
by Jeff Flake (2017)
| Two Paths,|
by Gov. John Kasich (2017)
|Every Other Monday,|
by Rep. John Kasich (2010)
|Courage is Contagious,|
by John Kasich (1998)
| Shortest Way Home,|
by Pete Buttigieg (2019)
by Michelle Obama (2018)
| Higher Loyalty,|
by James Comey (2018)
| The Making of Donald Trump,|
by David Cay Johnston (2017)
| Higher Loyalty ,|
by James Comey (2018)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
Interviews during 2018-2020, interviewing Democratic presidential hopefuls for 2020
This collection of excerpts comes from articles about and interviews of 2020 Democratic primary hopefuls.
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Interviews during 2018-2020 (number of quotes indicated):
- Amy Klobuchar (11) Minnesota Democratic candidate for President; Minnesota Senator
- Andrew Yang (11) Democratic candidate for President; CEO
- Bernie Sanders (13) Democratic Presidential candidate
- Beto O`Rourke (34) Texas Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from TX
- Beto O'Rourke (3)
- Bill de Blasio (7) New York Democratic primary candidate and NYC mayor
- Cory Booker (8) New Jersey Mayor of Newark; N.J. Senator
- Democratic Party (1)
- Elizabeth Warren (13) Massachusetts Senator
- Eric Swalwell (13) California Presidential candidate (withdrawn); U.S. Rep from CA-15
- Jay Inslee (9) Washington Democratic Washington Governor
- Joe Biden (26) Democratic V.P.
- Joe Sestak (12) Democratic candidate for President; Navy Admiral
- John Delaney (2) Maryland Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MD-6
- John Hickenlooper (10) Colorado Democratic Colorado Governor
- Julian Castro (17) Texas Mayor of San Antonio; HUD Secretary
- Kamala Harris (13) California Democratic candidate for President; California Senator
- Kirsten Gillibrand (9) New York Democratic candidate for President; New York Senator
- Marianne Williamson (26) Democratic candidate for President
- Michael Bennet (7) Colorado Democratic candidate for President; Colorado Senator
- Mike Bloomberg (10) New York Mayor of NYC
- Mike Gravel (6) Democratic challenger for president
- Pete Buttigieg (44) Indiana Democratic candidate for President; Mayor of South Bend, IN
- Seth Moulton (1) Massachusetts Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from MA-6
- Stacey Abrams (1) Georgia Democratic nominee for Georgia Governor
- Steve Bullock (8) Montana Democratic Montana Governor
- Tim Ryan (2) Ohio Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from OH-13
- Tom Steyer (18) Possible Democratic candidate for President from California
- Tulsi Gabbard (7) Hawaii Democratic candidate for President; U.S. Rep from HI-2
- Wayne Messam (11) Florida Democratic Presidential Challenger
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Speculation on 2020 Democratic presidential contenders (sources for issue excerpts):
- Twitter posting AdWatch: Joe Biden: "The world is laughing at President Trump", Dec 04, 2019
- NBC News, "Who has more to fear from Bloomberg: The Democrats or Trump?," by Alex Seitz-Wald, Nov. 24, 2019
- New York Post, "Bloomberg apologizes for stop-and-frisk policy," by Carl Campanile & Aaron Feis, November 17, 2019
- PolitiFact.com, "Fact-checking Joe Biden's claim that he was among the poorest in government," by Tom Kertscher, 10/30/19
- Slate magazine, "Watch Andrew Yang Break Down in Tears While Discussing Gun Violence," by Daniel Politi, Aug 11, 2019
- Detroit Free Press, "Marianne Williamson talks racial justice in speech to NAACP," by Emma Keith, July 23, 2019
- Business Insider, "Yang said he would 'love' to declassify Area 51," by Lauren Frias, 7/19/19
- Breitbart.com, "Joe Sestak: Everything Is Going Back to China," by Robert Kraychik, 16 Jul 2019
- PBS Newshour, "What does Joe Sestak believe? Where the candidate stands on 7 issues," Jul 16, 2019
- The New Yorker, "Tom Steyer, the Democrats' Billionaire for the People?," by Osita Nwanevu, 7/14/2019
- The Hill e-zine, "Steyer defends past investments in fossil fuels," by Regina Zilbermints, 7/14/2019
- Los Angeles Times, "Steyer's bets on private prisons and coal mining could spell trouble," by M.Finnegan & S.Mehta, 7/11/19
- Politico.com AdWatch, "Tom Steyer unleashes TV ad blitz," by Zach Montellaro, 07/10/2019
- Townhall.com, "The 2020 Democrats: Tom Steyer & Joe Sestak ," Jul 09, 2019
- NBC News, "Pro-impeachment billionaire Tom Steyer makes late entry into Democratic race," by Alex Seitz-Wald, July 9, 2019
- The Hill e-zine, "Williamson campaign uses fundraising email to help rival," by Owen Daugherty, 07/07/19
- UPI on Breitbart Blog, "Kamala Harris proposes $100B grant to help minorities attain home ownership," Jul 6 2019
- Reuters, "Buttigieg proposes expanded national service plan to unify country," by Tim Reid, July 3, 2019
- Vox.com, "Wayne Messam's key policy proposals, briefly explained", by Sean Collins, 7/2/2019
- Slate magazine, "The Education of Andrew Yang," by Aaron Mak, June 25, 2019
- CBS News, "Joe Sestak says it's not too late for him to gain traction," by Camilo Montoya-Galvez, 6/24/2019
- CNN.com, "Beto O`Rourke proposes 'war tax' as part of veterans' plan," by Eric Bradner, June 24, 2019
- Miami Herald, "Our Latin America policies are morally bankrupt," by Joe Biden, June 24, 2019
- NBC News, "Sanders has dodged criticism for crime bill vote while others have not," by Heidi Przybyla, June 23, 2019
- The Hill, "Tensions boil over at Buttigieg town hall after recent violence," by Rebecca Klar, 06/23/19
- USA Today, "Joe Sestak becomes 24th candidate to seek 2020 Democratic nomination," by William Cummings, 6/23/2019
- Politico.com, "Biden appears to be softening his stance on the death penalty," by Christopher Cadelago, 6/20/2019
- Los Angeles Times, "Williamson apologizes for calling vaccine mandates 'draconian' & 'Orwellian'," by Matt Pearce, 6/19/19
- Rolling Stone magazine, "Biden Rejects Calls to Apologize for Praise of Segregationist," by Tim Dickinson, 6/19/2019
- Axios.com, "Buttigieg says he suffered depression on return from Afghanistan," by Mike Allen, Jun 16, 2019
- Reuters news service, "O'Rourke unveils voting rights plan to get 35 million more to the polls," by Tim Reid, June 5, 2019
- More citations from May 2019 and earlier...
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Tom Steyer: Pro-choice, & only work for pro-choice candidates.
Joe Sestak: Secure reproductive rights; pass family leave.
Beto O`Rourke: VA must cover full spectrum of women's reproductive care.
Andrew Yang: Male legislators shouldn't decide female reproductive rights.
John Hickenlooper: Fight GOP-controlled legislatures' restrictive abortion laws.
Wayne Messam: Trust women to make their own decisions; period.
Pete Buttigieg: Personal choice is best for abortion's moral decision.
Marianne Williamson: Abortion is about private morality; government has no role.
Wayne Messam: Abortion issue demagogued, should be left to the mother.
John Hickenlooper: Against fetal heartbeat laws; favors access to contraception.
Beto O`Rourke: Abortions up until third trimester are woman's choice.
Pete Buttigieg: Abortion is a woman's choice, not a political statement.
Marianne Williamson: Calls herself 100% pro-choice.
Andrew Yang: Abortion should be regulated by doctors, not legislators.
Bill de Blasio: Crucial to protect women's right to choose in 2019.
Bill de Blasio: Women, not politicians, should control their bodies.
Budget & Economy|
Amy Klobuchar: Focus on issues affecting small business, rural America.
Beto O`Rourke: Upgrade records of LGBTQ vets who were discharged.
Pete Buttigieg: Has dealt with racism & police violence, but it's not enough.
Joe Biden: In the 1970s, I worked with opponents to get things done.
Joe Biden: You don't have to agree with opponents to work with them.
Joe Biden: Will be mindful of changing social norms & personal space.
Pete Buttigieg: If U.S. to address human rights, we need to be credible.
Marianne Williamson: Reparations are an appropriate response to country's history.
Marianne Williamson: Attacks on gay rights is attack on us all.
Bernie Sanders: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
Cory Booker: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
Elizabeth Warren: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
John Hickenlooper: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
Kamala Harris: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
Beto O`Rourke: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
Julian Castro: Supports commission investigating reparations for slavery.
Amy Klobuchar: Paper ballots allow audits, ensure election integrity.
Beto O`Rourke: Supports NFL players taking a knee during national anthem.
Julian Castro: Property was taken from slaves, so pay reparations.
Joe Biden: 1970s: Desegregating society ok, but not via school busing.
Marianne Williamson: Reparations to be distributed over 10 years by black leaders.
Jay Inslee: Statehood for DC & Puerto Rico; they deserve representation.
Elizabeth Warren: Reparations for slavery and to Native Americans.
Kamala Harris: Reparations means real investments in black communities.
Pete Buttigieg: Calls for redistricting reform; questions Electoral College.
Cory Booker: Recognize Native Americans but no Indigenous Peoples' Day.
Kamala Harris: Rename Columbus Day as Indigenous Peoples' Day.
Julian Castro: Protections for GLBTQ; benefits to same-sex partners.
Pete Buttigieg: For LGBT rights, but doesn't presume to speak for everyone.
Stacey Abrams: Takes a strong stand against voter suppression efforts.
Pete Buttigieg: Voters have judged his record, not his marriage.
Tulsi Gabbard: Early 2000s: supported father's antigay rights group.
Tulsi Gabbard: Actively supports equal rights on LGBTQ+ issues.
Steve Bullock: No safe haven for neo-Nazi white nationalists.
Tom Steyer: Mike Pence alienates LGBT Americans.
Tom Steyer: Big-money interests are committed to stopping progress.
Tom Steyer: Take the corporate control out of politics.
Tom Steyer: AdWatch: put people before corporations.
Marianne Williamson: Repeal corporate tax cuts.
Pete Buttigieg: Anti-trust law must go beyond pricing to deal with high tech.
Bernie Sanders: Defend farmers & consumers from corporate middlemen.
Elizabeth Warren: End "integrated" farming favoring corporations over farmers.
Bernie Sanders: 1976: I favor the public ownership of utilities & banks.
Bernie Sanders: 1970s: State should take over utilities without compensation.
Bernie Sanders: 1976: Relocating businesses must pay; for public ownership.
John Hickenlooper: Market must allow entry to new businesses.
Julian Castro: Supported tax breaks to lure corporations.
Julian Castro: Top earners & corporations must pay fair share.
Mike Bloomberg: I was wrong to rely on stop-and-frisk policing.
Tom Steyer: Regrets Farallon's $34M investment in corporate prisons.
Joe Biden: 1994: Billions for state prisons but fewer billions than GOP.
Bernie Sanders: OpEd: Ambiguous record on 1994 crime bill.
Joe Biden: 1992: pro-death penalty; 2019: congrats on ending it.
Pete Buttigieg: Restore voting rights for ex-cons, but not those in prison.
Pete Buttigieg: Death penalty is racist; mandatory minimums too.
Beto O`Rourke: Expand death penalty if police officers are attacked.
Beto O`Rourke: Capital punishment is an inequitable, unfair, unjust system.
Kamala Harris: Federal and state moratorium on death penalty.
Kamala Harris: 2004: no death penalty for cop killer; 2019: apply to all.
Cory Booker: Rich-and-guilty treated better than poor-and-innocent.
Joe Biden: 1993: Don't care why "predators" act; put them in jail.
Joe Biden: 1994 Crime Bill got help for first time offenders, not jail.
Joe Biden: 1990s: Supported tough-on-crime; 2019:considers those racist.
Andrew Yang: Police unfairly target minorities.
Beto O`Rourke: We must cut down on recidivism for non-violent offenders.
John Hickenlooper: As teen, grew his own marijuana before it was legal.
Beto O`Rourke: Arrested for drunk driving at age 25; license suspended.
Beto O`Rourke: Dealing Drugs and Death: 2011 call for legalization.
Joe Biden: Harsh sentences for crack were a mistake; worked to rectify.
Tulsi Gabbard: Let states legalize marijuana; non-user supports free choice.
John Hickenlooper: Supports states permitting marijuana, not federal reform.
Joe Biden: Long record of opposing marijuana legalization.
Joe Biden: Forbid government study of legalization.
Beto O`Rourke: End prohibition on marijuana, expunge records of possessors.
Joe Biden: 1989: Bush didn't go far enough in War on Drugs.
Joe Biden: Proud of backing tough drug laws & penalties.
Michael Bennet: Let states experiment with marijuana; address racial issues.
Joe Sestak: Universal pre-K; create "Training for a Lifetime".
Pete Buttigieg: States should take on more of cost of higher education.
Pete Buttigieg: Supports loan forgiveness but not across the board.
Wayne Messam: Address immediate student debt with one-time cancellation.
Marianne Williamson: Provide teachers autonomy as well as compensation.
Pete Buttigieg: Charter schools have a place in the school ecosystem.
Marianne Williamson: Wipe out college loans burdening the young.
Eric Swalwell: College bargain: no-interest loans & debt-free college.
Beto O'Rourke: 2102: charters are a good idea tdat encourage competition.
Beto O'Rourke: Wife Amy headed a dual-language charter school.
Beto O'Rourke: My kids attend public schools; keep charters accountable.
Cory Booker: Government should not profit from student debt.
Cory Booker: Investment in education helps the whole society.
Elizabeth Warren: Proposed all-voucher education; now opposes charters.
Kamala Harris: Federal money to subsidize teach pay raises.
Wayne Messam: First priority is resolving current student debt.
Joe Biden: 1970s: outspoken Senate critic of school desegregation.
Marianne Williamson: Free college; low cost education for older adults.
Amy Klobuchar: I am not for free four-year college for all.
Julian Castro: Extended Pre-K education for needy kids.
Elizabeth Warren: Invest in education, but focus on results.
Energy & Oil|
Tom Steyer: Departed from Farallon in part due to fossil fuel holdings.
Tom Steyer: When I realized the threat of fossil fuels, I divested.
Tom Steyer: AdWatch: I left my business to combat climate change.
Joe Sestak: Rejoin Paris Accord, ban offshore drilling.
Tom Steyer: Donated $41m for sustainable energy center.
Wayne Messam: Criticized Trump for quitting Paris Climate Accord.
Marianne Williamson: Climate change biggest crisis of our time.
Eric Swalwell: Support for Green New Deal and Paris climate accord.
Wayne Messam: Ran pro-climate firm, worked on "greenest school" in SE.
Wayne Messam: Address climate change to create jobs & keep us competitive.
Pete Buttigieg: Timetable on climate set by reality, not by Congress.
Beto O`Rourke: Keep planet from warming one-half degree Celsius.
Jay Inslee: No "silver bullet" for climate: "silver buckshot" instead.
John Hickenlooper: Drank a glass of fracking fluid to show it was harmless.
Jay Inslee: We are last generation that can do something about climate.
Jay Inslee: Fighting climate change must be top goal of next president.
Jay Inslee: Supported renewable portfolio; supports Green New Deal.
Mike Bloomberg: $218M effort led to closure of 282 coal-fired power plants.
Amy Klobuchar: Green New Deal is aspirational; don't over-promise.
Julian Castro: Green Jobs Leadership Council: more solar; less coal.
Julian Castro: Supported both fossil fuel and green energy.
Pete Buttigieg: Supports Paris climate accord and Green New Deal.
Kamala Harris: Climate change important, but not only issue.
Marianne Williamson: Deal with factory farming by having environmentalists at EPA.
Steve Bullock: Passionate about protecting public land access for all.
Families & Children|
Mike Bloomberg: Get cities to hike taxes on sugary drinks.
Pete Buttigieg: $100B in grants for minority home ownership.
Bill de Blasio: Signed a paid sick leave and safe leave plan into law.
Marianne Williamson: Provide free or affordable lunches & breakfasts for students.
Steve Bullock: Supports same-sex marriage in Montana.
Cory Booker: Government funded savings account at birth.
Marianne Williamson: Need a cabinet department to focus on children and youth.
Eric Swalwell: No firearms for people with history of domestic violence.
Eric Swalwell: Agrees with Obama that kids should dream bigger than parents.
Elizabeth Warren: Federal funds to cap childcare at 7% of income.
Bill de Blasio: Launched universal free lunch in NYC schools.
Joe Sestak: Rejoin Iran deal; strengthen trade with allies.
Joe Sestak: Building liberal world order is what makes America First.
Tulsi Gabbard: Met with Syrian president; for "extreme vetting" of Syrians.
Marianne Williamson: Support Israeli security & Palestinian human rights.
Marianne Williamson: Return moral principles to our foreign policy.
Pete Buttigieg: Supports Israel; situation more complex than seen in media.
Beto O`Rourke: Help refugee asylum seekers at home in Northern Triangle.
Mike Gravel: Bring critique of American imperialism to Democratic primary.
Mike Gravel: 1971: end Vietnam involvement; 2008: end Mideast involvement.
Joe Biden: Opposition to European alliances like NATO is dumb.
Pete Buttigieg: Pay attention to assessments of intelligence agencies.
Julian Castro: Strengthen our relationship with allies to keep us safe.
Joe Biden: $750M to Central America to address root cause of migration.
Joe Biden: Revive Alliance for Prosperity with Central America.
Joe Sestak: Would rejoin Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Pete Buttigieg: Free trade doesn't have to mean exporting jobs.
Beto O`Rourke: Traveled to Asia with Obama to push TPP.
Tom Steyer: Opposes Citizens United decision.
Pete Buttigieg: Provide new opportunities for voluntary public service.
Beto O`Rourke: Same-day voter registration; make election day a holiday.
Beto O`Rourke: Term limits for Congress and the Supreme Court.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Public financing of elections through voter choice.
Bernie Sanders: Citizens United is most disastrous decisions in history.
Elizabeth Warren: Constitutional Amendment to protect the right to vote.
Pete Buttigieg: Abolish Electoral College; it makes society less democratic.
Marianne Williamson: DC should have representation in Congress.
Marianne Williamson: Must address election security & Russian interference.
Elizabeth Warren: Every vote matters: so abolish the Electoral College.
Democratic Party: $2M to register 200,000 Florida non-voters.
Mike Bloomberg: Fund voter registration in FL, WI, OH, MI, and PA.
Pete Buttigieg: Need to depoliticize Supreme Court.
Beto O`Rourke: Increase Supreme Court to 15 independent Justices.
Beto O`Rourke: Supports term limits for Congress.
Amy Klobuchar: Automatically register citizens to vote when they turn 18.
Jay Inslee: End the filibuster; it dooms good legislation.
John Delaney: Nationally televised debates between President and Congress.
Pete Buttigieg: Open to expanding judiciary in reaction to GOP actions.
Pete Buttigieg: Get rid of the Electoral College.
Andrew Yang: Make Puerto Rico a state.
Steve Bullock: Unlimited corporate spending has impacted our elections.
Steve Bullock: Signed the Montana Disclose Act into law.
Tom Steyer: Register young voters to push for gun reform now.
Joe Sestak: Reform background checks to keep guns out of wrong hands.
Cory Booker: 14-part gun control plan, with criminal enforcement.
Eric Swalwell: Assault weapon buyback program, with criminal enforcement.
Eric Swalwell: Be big; be bold; do good; gun control.
Wayne Messam: Sued state of Florida to allow municipal gun control.
Marianne Williamson: Gun laws are driven by profits of gun manufacturers.
Wayne Messam: Reduce gun violence by 50%.
Eric Swalwell: After mass shootings, time to make gun control an issue.
Tim Ryan: Soured on NRA after Sandy Hook.
Marianne Williamson: Universal background checks including at gun shows.
Pete Buttigieg: Yes to gun control and universal background checks.
Andrew Yang: Make gun manufacturers liable for mass shootings.
Bill de Blasio: Gun laws are necessary to protect the city and ourselves.
Steve Bullock: Supports background checks & semi-automatic ban.
Eric Swalwell: Ban assault weapons and buy back as many as possible.
Tom Steyer: Open Medicare to all who want it.
Joe Sestak: For public option as path to single payer.
Tom Steyer: Keep private health insurance; but add public option.
Beto O`Rourke: Expand health care benefits and support for veterans.
Marianne Williamson: I support vaccines, but I understand the skepticism.
Marianne Williamson: Vaccination should be a choice, like abortion choice.
Andrew Yang: Aligned with "intactivists": against circumcision.
Jay Inslee: Declared emergency over measles anti-vaccination wave.
Marianne Williamson: Make Medicare for All a public option.
Bernie Sanders: Medicare-for-all: no more private insurance plans.
Eric Swalwell: Coverage for all, but don't eliminate private insurers.
Wayne Messam: Medicare-for-All okay; open to any expansion of health care.
Bernie Sanders: State-by-state Medicaid expansion is a major step.
Amy Klobuchar: For public option, taking on Big Pharma.
Beto O`Rourke: Supports Medicare for America as public option.
Eric Swalwell: Keep private insurance; allow public option.
Pete Buttigieg: Single payer option can lead to Medicare for all.
Beto O`Rourke: Protect existing priorities, then expand Medicare & Medicaid.
Bernie Sanders: 1970s: For socialized medicine, public drug companies owned.
Beto O`Rourke: Eventually make "health care for all" a reality.
Pete Buttigieg: Medicare for all who want it: public option.
Eric Swalwell: Yes to Medicare-for-All after time in the ICU with daughter.
Amy Klobuchar: Medicare-for-all is aspirational and for the future, not now.
Pete Buttigieg: Single rate for healthcare before single payer.
Michael Bennet: Make public plan optional; others can keep private insurance.
Pete Buttigieg: His generation not put off by claims of "socialism".
Pete Buttigieg: Single payer can still allow role for private insurance.
Mike Bloomberg: We can never afford to replace employer-based health system.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Provide a public option to get to universal coverage.
Steve Bullock: Got Medicaid expansion through a GOP-dominated legislature.
John Hickenlooper: Too soon to make changes in Obamacare.
Michael Bennet: Single payer would lead to massive tax increase.
Andrew Yang: I'd love to declassify Area 51, for government transparency.
Pete Buttigieg: Suffered post-deployment depression, but not PTSD.
Kamala Harris: Domestic terrorism as national security priority.
Pete Buttigieg: Be serious about security like Israel, but live freely.
Joe Biden: Refugee policy is an embarrassment.
Julian Castro: Supported military expansion into cybersecurity.
Tom Steyer: Fight deportation and expand services for immigrants.
Joe Sestak: Secure borders & due process for asylum seekers.
Joe Sestak: Expand involvement of the Office of Refugee Resettlement.
Beto O`Rourke: Military service as pathway to citizenship for immigrants.
Bill de Blasio: Created city ID so undocumented immigrants get healthcare.
Kirsten Gillibrand: 2000s: opposed amnesty for undocumented immigrants.
Pete Buttigieg: There's a consensus on immigration if we have the will.
Marianne Williamson: Need to examine how US policy created border crisis.
Eric Swalwell: Visit Northern Triangle to gain compassion for those fleeing.
Amy Klobuchar: Immigrants crucial to labor & management.
John Hickenlooper: Need a comprehensive reevaluation of our immigration laws.
Beto O`Rourke: Condemns President Trump's wall; "Walls end lives".
Beto O`Rourke: Raise cap on work visas; find pathway to citizenship.
Marianne Williamson: Pathway and affordable healthcare for illegal immigrants.
Kamala Harris: 2008: Supported SF policy reported arrested juveniles to ICE.
Kamala Harris: Reform system, against "vanity project" of border wall.
Jay Inslee: Illegal immigration not a national emergency.
Pete Buttigieg: Supports DACA and easing deportation policies.
Andrew Yang: Supports the DREAM Act.
Kirsten Gillibrand: In House, took hardline for border security, ICE funding.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Hadn't understood issues, changed views in Senate.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Pathway to citizenship for DREAMers.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Pathway to citizenship gets immigrants connected.
Julian Castro: Compassion for refugees, pathway for those here.
Joe Biden: Focus on refugee asylum seekers at home in Northern Triangle.
Michael Bennet: Trump is anti-immigrant; immigrants are a positive force.
Michael Bennet: America is a unique place for refugees to succeed.
Tom Steyer: Supports right to a living wage.
Pete Buttigieg: Government must be pro-active with changing economy.
Tim Ryan: Progressive goals should be sold as job creation.
Marianne Williamson: Supports $15 minimum wage & Green New Deal.
Joe Biden: We need "moral capitalism" and corporate responsibility.
Julian Castro: Opposed unionizing city employees.
Pete Buttigieg: Unions good for US workers, but not NAFTA.
Julian Castro: Minimum wage should be a living wage.
Principles & Values|
Joe Biden: AdWatch: World laughs at Trump for dangerous incompetence.
Joe Biden: FactCheck:Yes, entered & left Congress as one of the poorest.
Marianne Williamson: Requested that her donors support Mike Gravel.
Mike Gravel: Made debate donor count with help from opponent Williamson.
Joe Biden: We are in a battle for the soul of this nation.
Kirsten Gillibrand: Pushed to oust Al Franken from Senate for sexual harassment.
Michael Bennet: Family includes Mayflower descendants & Holocaust survivors.
Pete Buttigieg: God does not have a political party.
Eric Swalwell: If you work hard it adds up to dreaming bigger.
Pete Buttigieg: Supports religious values and separation of church and state.
Mike Gravel: 2008: YouTube political "video art" went viral.
Pete Buttigieg: Progressive, but not concerned with labels.
John Hickenlooper: Work with Republicans to advance progressive priorities.
Julian Castro: Make America smartest, healthiest, fairest & most prosperous.
Pete Buttigieg: Would be youngest president ever, and first mayor.
Tulsi Gabbard: To understand socialism, look at Venezuela.
Tulsi Gabbard: Labels like "capitalist" and "socialist" are misused.
Michael Bennet: Most Democrats are not socialists and should say so.
Joe Biden: Restore America's soul: bigotry is not an American value.
Mike Bloomberg: American Cities Initiative philanthropies gave away $6.4B.
Andrew Yang: Subsidize journalists to do local reporting.
Amy Klobuchar: Minnesota Nice: reliable, calm, aw-shucks bipartisanship.
Amy Klobuchar: Nicknamed "The Senator of Small Things," but some are big.
Kamala Harris: Co-sponsored Do No Harm Act: keep church and state separate.
Bill de Blasio: Religious identity: spiritual but not religious.
Mike Bloomberg: Keep religion and politics separate.
Andrew Yang: Universal Basic Income recipients might lose other benefits.
Beto O`Rourke: 2012: Protect retirees, but make changes for the future.
Beto O`Rourke: 2012: Maybe raise age; 2019: Against raising age.
Beto O`Rourke: 2012: raise retirement age; apply means-testing.
Tom Steyer: Upper income people have done disproportionally well.
Beto O`Rourke: War tax on non-military households to support vet healthcare.
Kamala Harris: Monthly tax credit would provide base income.
Pete Buttigieg: The wealthy should pay their fair share in taxes.
Wayne Messam: Shifting tax burden from business not in national interest.
Cory Booker: Helped people claim earned-income tax credit.
Amy Klobuchar: Changes in corporate tax would fund infrastructure.
Beto O`Rourke: Wealth tax would generate revenue for 'common benefit'.
Bernie Sanders: 1974: 100% tax over $1 million.
Beto O`Rourke: Everyone should sacrifice, with higher top marginal tax rate.
Julian Castro: Senior/disabled property tax freeze favored wealthy.
Andrew Yang: Value-Added Tax as part of new capitalist philosophy.
Bernie Sanders: Raise income tax & fix estate tax: hardly Marxist ideas.
Elizabeth Warren: Wealth tax: $4.1 billion per year on fortune of $137 billion.
Mike Bloomberg: Progressive tax yes; wealth tax no.
Mike Bloomberg: The wealthy prefer the current rigged system.
Mike Bloomberg: Wealth tax is unconstitutional counterproductive.
Elizabeth Warren: Curb inequality: 2% tax on assets over $50M; 3% over $1B.
Julian Castro: Top earners, corporations should pay "fair share".
Elizabeth Warren: Making housing affordable by raising estate tax.
Tom Steyer: OpEd: Steyer's tax proposal would hit poor hardest.
Joe Sestak: Invest $1 trillion on infrastructure.
Pete Buttigieg: Automation is changing the workplace; we need to adapt.
Beto O`Rourke: Regulating Big Tech is more sensical approach than breakup.
Beto O`Rourke: Member of hacktivist group, "Cult of the Dead Cow".
Elizabeth Warren: Break up Big Tech companies: they stifle innovation.
John Delaney: Bipartisanship on infrastructure, digital privacy, and more.
Jay Inslee: Requires major rebuilding of America, means new jobs.
Pete Buttigieg: Infrastructure upgrade of sewer system needed in South Bend.
Steve Bullock: Signed executive order requiring net neutrality.
War & Peace|
Seth Moulton: AdWatch: Don't send troops back to Iraq.
Joe Sestak: America broke its word with departure from Iran agreement.
Mike Gravel: Filibustered to end the military draft.
Julian Castro: Opposed troops in Syria, but have to plan withdrawal.
Mike Gravel: 2008: searing indictment of Democratic support of Iraq war.
Tulsi Gabbard: No more wars for regime change, like Syria and Afghanistan.
Joe Biden: US should stand up to aggression of dictators.
Pete Buttigieg: Pull troops out of Afghanistan, but not Syria.
Welfare & Poverty|
Bernie Sanders: 1980s USSR housing worse than U.S.'s, but they pay only 5%.
Beto O`Rourke: Pushed "El Paso renaissance": Walmart replaces poor housing.
Elizabeth Warren: Address housing crisis by assisting cities & homebuyers.
Kamala Harris: LIFT Act and Rent Relief: $42 billion to people in poverty.
The above quotations are from Interviews during 2018-2020, interviewing Democratic presidential hopefuls for 2020.
More citations for 2020 presidential Democratic primary contenders (sources for issue excerpts):
- Vox.com, "America's first-ever public option, explained by Gov. Jay Inslee," by Dylan Scott, May 20, 2019
- Denver CBS Local, "Biden Supports Decriminalizing Marijuana, [but not] Legalization," by Arlette Saenz, CNN, May 16, 2019
- The Hill, "Steve Bullock teases 'big announcement' in new video," Tal Axelrod, 5/11/2019
- Washington Examiner, "Booker: Americans should be 'thrown in jail' if they won't give up their guns," by John Gage, 5/6/19
- Vox.com, "The 20-year argument between Biden and Warren over bankruptcy," by Matthew Yglesias, May 6, 2019
- Fox News, "Details of Sanders' Soviet 'honeymoon' exposed," by Sam Dorman, 5/3/2019
- Axios.com, "Buttigieg: Everything you need to know about the 2020 candidate," by Shannon Vavra, 5/3/2019
- NBC News, "Democracy Dollars: Gillibrand's plan to give voters $600 to donate to campaigns," by Benjy Sarlin, May 1, 2019
- Jacobin Magazine, "Mike Gravel Should Be on the 2020 Debate Stage," by Branko Marcetic, May 2019
- Fox News, "Joe Biden officially launches 2020 presidential bid," by Paul Steinhauser, 4/25/2019
- Mother Jones magazine, "What Andrew Yang’s Universal Basic Income Would Actually Look Like," by Tonya Riley, 4/23/2019
- The Nation, "Why Democratic Contenders Now Call for Abolishing the Electoral College," by John Nichols, April 22, 2019
- CNN, "Buttigieg Fields Question at Town Hall, April 22, 2019
- Axios.com, "What you need to know about the 2020 presidential candidates, in under 500 words," Apr 22, 2019
- Fox Business News, Buttigieg's views on taxes, health care and the US economy," by Brittany De Lea, 4/15/2019
- CNN Town Hall Meeting with Marianne Williamson, Presidential Candidate, April 14, 2019
- NPR, "Medicare-For-All," by Shefali Luthra, April 11, 2019
- CNBC, "Presidential candidates make progressive pledges at Al Sharpton-led convention," National Action Network, Apr 5, 2019
- WBUR FM (Boston), "Messam Announces 2020 Run To 'Restore American Dream'," April 09, 2019
- The Atlantic, "Eric Swalwell Is Running on Gun Safety," by Edward-Isaac Dovere , 4/4/2019
- The Hill, "Buttigieg calls for abolishing death penalty", by Chris Mills Rodrigo, 4/4/2019
- CNN K-File, "Beto O'Rourke in 2012 said charter schools were a good idea," by Eric Bradner & Andrew Kaczynski, April 4, 2019
- Atlantic Magazine, "Klobuchar's Hazy 'Heartland Economics'," by Edward-Isaac Dovere, 4/4/2019
- Associated Press, "O'Rourke, Castro talk reparations at civil rights conference," by Juana Summers , April 3, 2019
- Slate.com, "We May Have Already Located the Most Vapid Sound Bite of 2020 Cycle," by Ben Mathis-Lilley, April 03, 2019
- CommonDreams.org, "After Gaza Slaughter, Buttigieg Praised Israeli Security Responses," by Philip Weiss, April 3, 2019
- Vox, "Democrats are increasingly critical of Israel. Not Pete Buttigieg," by Alex Ward, 4/3/2019
- Wichita Eagle, "Face off over Medicaid," by Jonathan Shorman, April 2, 2019
- The Atlantic, "Beto Sees Trump's Immigration Trap Clearly," by Peter Beinart, 4/1/19
- Mother Jones magazine, "Talking Tough About Corporate Control of Food," by Tom Philpott, March 30, 2019
- Washington Post, "Buttigieg believes the religious left will get Trump out," by Sarah Pullman Bailey, 3/29/2019
- Washington Examiner, "Beto takes extreme abortion stance," by Salena Zito, 3/29/2019
- Vox, "An abortion clinic is suing to open in Pete Buttigieg's city," by Anna North, 3/27/2019
- The Atlantic, "Cory Booker Is Happy to Be Under the Radar--For Now," by Edward-Isaac Dovere , 3/27/2019
- Forbes Magazine, "Four Reasons Kamala Harris' Teacher Pay Raise Proposal Is Not A Winner," by Peter Greene, Mar 26, 2019
- Bloomberg Politics, "Beto O'Rourke Joins Calls for Wealth Tax to Avoid 'Kings and Queens'," by Emma Kinery, 3/22/2019
- Reason Magazine, "Mike Gravel: The Candidate of Anti-Imperialism and Video Art," by Jesse Walker, Mar. 22, 2019
- CNBC, "2020 hopeful Beto O'Rourke says he'd rather see Big Tech regulated than broken up," by Sara Salinas Date: 3/21/2019
- Common Dreams, "Reinventing Beto: How a GOP Accessory Became a Top Democratic Contender," March 21, 2019
- Inquisitr.com blog, "Ex-Senator Mike Gravel Roasts 2020 Democratic Candidates," March 20, 2019
- New York Magazine, "Mike Gravel, Who's a Hit With the Teens," by Ed Kilgore, Mar. 20, 2019
- Huffington Post, "O'Rourke Supported the Death Penalty 2 Years Ago," by Daniel Marans, 3/20/2019
- Forbes Magazine, "Swalwell Touts 'Coverage For All'," by Bruce Japsen, Mar 19, 2019
- Forbes Magazine, "O'Rourke Dials Back Medicare-For-All Talk," by Bruce Japsen, Mar 17, 2019
- The Atlantic, "Can A Rust Belt Yogi Save The Democratic Party?," by Elaine Godfrey, Mar. 15, 2019
- Associated Press, "Kamala Harris calls for federal moratorium on executions," 3/14/2019
- CNN K-File, "Sanders in the 1970s urged nationalization of most major industries," by A.Kaczynski & N.McDermott, 3/14/19
- CBS News, "Who is Beto O'Rourke?," by Camilo Montoya-Galvez, 3/14/2019
- Fox News, "O'Rourke says he'd suspend federal capital punishment," by Paulina Dedaj, 3/14/2019
- Vanity Fair, "I'm Just Born To Do This," by Joe Hagan, March 13, 2019
- BBC, "Nine Democratic candidates. One event. Who shone?," by Anthony Zurcher, 3/12/2019
- NBC News, "Beto O'Rourke, a work in progress," by Alex Seitz-Wald, March 15, 2019
- Reuters, "Beto in America's oldest hacking group", by Joseph Menn, March 15, 2019
- Fox News, "O'Rourke says he'd suspend federal capital punishment," by Paulina Dedaj, 3/14/2019
- The Hill, "Booker slams Manafort sentence," by Tal Axelrod, March 8, 2019
- Washington Post, "Biden's tough talk on 1970s school desegregation plan could get new scrutiny," by Matt Viser, March 7 2019
- Forbes Magazine, "For Tulsi Gabbard, Marijuana Sits At Nexus Of Good Policy And Smart Politics," by Tom Angell, Mar 7, 2019
- Forbes Magazine, "Marijuana Sits At Nexus Of Good Policy And Smart Politics," by Tom Angell, Mar 7, 2019
- The Hill, "Hickenlooper: Federal government shouldn't decide whether to legalize marijuana", by Alicia Cohn, 03/06/19
- Townhall.com, "The 2020 Democrats: Marianne Williamson," 3/5/2019
- NBC News, "Medicare for All is the obvious solution," OpEd by Eric Swalwell, 3/2/2019
- The Atlantic, "The Democrat Who Wants To Stop The Rage," by Edward-Isaac Dovere, Mar. 2, 2019
- CommonDreams.org, "Inslee Says He's Running for One Urgent Reason: The Climate Crisis," by Jessica Corbett, March 01, 2019
- Vox.com, "Meet the first Democrat running for president on climate change," by David Roberts, Mar 1, 2019
- Leafly.com, "Joe Biden's Drug War Record Is So Much Worse Than You Think," by David Bienenstock, February 26, 2019
- Fox News, "Warren says reparations for Native Americans should be 'part of the conversation'," by Adam Shaw, 2/23/2019
- The Philadelphia Tribune, "Biden speaks at Penn; no hint at 2020 presidential election," by Ryanne Persinger, Feb 20, 2019
- CommonDreams.org, "Buttigieg Wins Applause for Making 'Pack the Courts' Argument," by Julia Conley, 2/20/2019
- Politico.com, "Bloomberg calls in his chits," by Marc Caputo, 2/19/2019
- The Daily Pennsylvanian (U.Penn.), "Biden visited campus on Tuesday," by Max Cohen, Cami Doo, and Grant Bianco, 02/19/19
- Buzzfeed News, "Harris Supports Changing 'Columbus Day' To 'Indigenous Peoples' Day'," by Molly Hensley-Clancy, Feb. 18, 2019
- Huffington Post, "Warren To Unveil Sweeping Plan For Universal Child Care," by Jonathan Cohn, 02/18/2019
- Politico.com, "Klobuchar opts for pragmatic approach in town hall," by Elena Schneider, 2/18/2019
- The Washington Post, "Trump foreign policy under attack from all sides," by Griff Witte and Michael Birnbaum, Feb. 16, 2019
- Washington Examiner, "Biden tells Europeans in Munich that America is 'an embarrassment'," by Joel Gehrke, Feb. 16, 2019
- Jacobin Magazine, "Julian Castro's Early, Neoliberal Years," by Branko Marcetic, 2/15/2019
- PBS Newshour, "What does Pete Buttigieg believe? Where the candidate stands on 7 issues," by Jessica Yarvin, 2.15.2019
- New York Magazine, "A Long Talk With Pete Buttigieg," by Gabriel Debenedetti, 2/14/2019
- The New Yorker, "Pete Buttigieg's Quiet Rebellion", by Benjamin Wallace-Wells, 2/9/2019
- The Economist, "Elizabeth Warren’s Unusual Brand of Wonkish Populism," Feb. 9, 2019
- Townhall.com, "Candidate profiles: Andrew Yang," Feb 06, 2019
- Washington Blade, "Buttigieg makes pitch to LGBT voters in bid to become first out gay president," by Chris Johnson, 2/5/19
- Christian Science Monitor, "For political stars like Beto and Stacey, powerful brands outshine losses," February 5, 2019
- The Economist, "How much of a socialist is Sanders?," Feb. 1, 2019
- Vox.com, "5 anti-poverty plans from 2020 Democratic presidential contenders, explained," by Dylan Matthews, Jan 30, 2019
- Politico.com, "Bloomberg creates own lane in N.H. swing, by Stephanie Murray, 01/29/2019
- Washington Examiner, "Scourge of the socialists?," by Philip Wegmann, January 29, 2019
- New York Times, "Supreme Court Will Review New York City Gun Law," by Adam Liptak, 1/22/2019
- The Atlantic, "Harris's Campaign Strategy: Don't Pick a Lane," by Edward-Isaac Dovere, Jan. 22, 2019
- ABC7NY, Associated Press on WABC-TV, "Lawmakers pass bill to protect abortion rights in New York," 1/22/2019
- Jacobin Magazine, "Socialism and Progressives," 1/8/2019
- The Atlantic, "Cory Booker's Theory of Love," by Franklin Foer, Dec 17, 2018
- NY Times, "Klobuchar Is 'Minnesota Nice.' But Is That What Democrats Want for 2020?", by Sheryl Gay Stolberg, Nov. 26, 2018
- BuzzFeed News, "Could This Unknown Montana Governor Be Our Next President?," by Anne Helen Petersen, September 29, 2018
- Atlantic Magazine, "Warren's Ambitious Fix for America's Housing Crisis," by Madeleine Carlisle, Sep. 25, 2018
- Houston Chronicle, "O'Rourke: Texas should lead the way on true criminal justice reform," by Beto O'Rourke, 8/27/2018
- Jacobin Magazine, "Biden on Mass Incarceration," 8/9/18
- Church & State Magazine, AU.org, "Do No Harm Act Introduced In Senate," by Rokia Hassanein, July/August 2018
- Washington Post, "Border Won't Be Secure Until Central America Is," by Joseph R. Biden Jr., June 25, 2018
- USA Today, "Ban assault weapons and buy them back," OpEd by Eric Swalwell, May 3, 2018 (Updated April 8, 2019)
- The Atlantic, "Delusions and Realities of the Immigration Debate," by Adam Serwer, Jan. 24, 2018
- The Nation magazine, "A Governor Renews Net-Neutrality Protections With the Stroke of a Pen," by John Nichols, Jan 24, 2018
- Mother Jones magazine, "NYC Puts an End to School-Lunch Shaming," by Jenny Luna, Sept 6, 2017
- Jacobin Magazine, "Democrats Against Single Payer," by Branko Marcetic, 3/29/2017
- Religion News Service, "Montana lawmakers denounce plans for neo-Nazi rally," December 28, 2016
- Politico.com, "Tom Steyer rips into Pence for alienating LGBT community," by Benjamin Oreskes, 07/15/2016
- NYC.gov Mayoral press release, "Statement from Mayor Bill de Blasio on Oklahoma Anti-Abortion Legislation," 5/3/2016
- Medium.com e-zine, "It's the Clean Energy Economy, Stupid," by Tom Steyer, Oct 28, 2015
- Human Events magazine , "Drivers Taken for Ride by Tom Steyer," May 26, 2015
- Counterpunch e-zine, "An Imperial Scam Coming to Your State Soon," by John V. Walsh, April 29, 2014
- Religion News Service, "Bill de Blasio, New York's new 'spiritual but not religious' mayor," January 6, 2014
- Yet more excerpts from the 2019-2020 presidential race? See....
- 2019 Democratic primaries (focus on the early competition for the Democratic party nomination)
- 2019-20 presidential hopefuls (focus on all parties from the primary through the general election)
- 2020 "Veepstakes" (focus on competition for vice-presidential nominations)