Books by and about 2016 presidential candidates|
| Hard Choices,|
by Hillary Clinton (2014)
| Crippled America ,|
by Donald J. Trump (2015)
| Trump vs. Hillary On The Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Outsider in the White House,|
by Bernie Sanders (2015)
| American Dreams,|
by Marco Rubio (2015)
| Taking a Stand,|
by Rand Paul (2015)
by Scott Walker (2013)
| A Time for Truth,|
by Ted Cruz (2015)
| One Nation,|
by Ben Carson (2014)
| Trump/Pence vs. Clinton/Kaine On the Issues ,|
by Jesse Gordon (2016)
| Living History ,|
by Hillary Rodham Clinton (2003)
| Between Hope and History ,|
by Bill Clinton (1996)
| In Harmís Way ,|
by Dr. Jill Stein (2000)
| Democrat vs. Republican vs. Green vs. Libertarian,|
Four Party's Presidential Nominees On The Issues (2016)
Books by and about 2012 presidential candidates|
| Ten Letters
about Pres. Barack Obama (2011)
| Do Not Ask What Good We Do
about Rep. Paul Ryan (2012)
(click a book cover for a review or other books by or about the presidency from Amazon.com)
2018 Minnesota Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from 2018 MN Governor's race (number of quotes indicated):
- Chris Coleman (1) Minnesota DFL
- Erin Murphy (2) Minnesota DFL
- Jeff Johnson (24) Minnesota Republican candidate for governor of Minnesota
- Lori Swanson (14) Minnesota Democratic candidate for governor of Minnesota
- Mark Dayton (1) Minnesota Democratic Governor
- Matt Dean (1) Minnesota Republican candidate for Governor
- Rebecca Otto (5) Minnesota Democratic candidate for Governor
- Tim Walz (22) Minnesota Democratic candidate for Governor
- Tina Liebling (16) Minnesota Democratic candidate for Governor
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Minnesota 2018 Gubernatorial debates and race coverage:
- KLGR 95.9FM Redwood Falls, "Johnson proposes work requirement for welfare recipients," by G. Marquart, July 30, 2018
- Seattle Times, "Swanson joins AGs in demanding end to border separations," June 19, 2018
- Pioneer Press, "New phone scams are stealing IDs and 'big money' MN attorney general says," May 9, 2018
- Post-Bulletin, "Candidates field questions at Rochester gubernatorial forum," by Brian Todd, Feb 23, 2018
- Minneapolis Star-Tribune, "Swanson joins 18 attorneys general in asking Congress to block transgender troop ban," by J.Brooks, 7/29/2017
- Twin Cities Pioneer Press, "Conversing with governor candidates," October 25, 2017
- CBS-4-WCCO, "Coleman, Hodges Review Trumpís Sanctuary City Order," January 26, 2017
- Minnesota Lawyer, "Dayton signs insurance relief bill into law," by Kevin Featherly, January 26, 2017
- Twin Cities Pioneer Press, "Auditor's profile is rising--along with her ire," by Bill Salisbury and David Montgomery, January 23, 2016
| OnTheIssues.org excerpts: (click on issues for details)
Jeff Johnson: Heartbeat bill: ban abortions at about 6 weeks of pregnancy.
Tim Walz: Maintain funding for Planned Parenthood.
Jeff Johnson: Pro-lifer who believes in protecting the life of the unborn.
Tina Liebling: No government infringement of decision to reproduce.
Lori Swanson: Will fight for all citizens to receive the same civil rights.
Rebecca Otto: Address racial inequality gaps with social justice.
Tina Liebling: No government infringement of decision to marry.
Rebecca Otto: Endorsed by Stonewall DFL as ally of LGBT community.
Jeff Johnson: Help small business and embrace all present and future jobs.
Jeff Johnson: Violent criminals must be locked up, some for long sentences.
Lori Swanson: Warns citizens about new methods of phone scamming.
Tina Liebling: Officers should control situation without deadly force.
Tina Liebling: More treatment courts; lower barriers to re-entry after jail.
Jeff Johnson: Medical marijuana ok but not recreational.
Tim Walz: Full legalization of medical and recreational marijuana.
Lori Swanson: Joined with other AG's to investigate opioid manufacturers.
Tina Liebling: War on drugs failed; end prohibition & use pot responsibly.
Tim Walz: 2 years tuition-free education at MN state institutions.
Tim Walz: Fully fund pre-K-to-12; make Minnesota the education state.
Jeff Johnson: Believes parents know best about their kid's education needs.
Lori Swanson: Believes schools need K-12 funding & teachers need support.
Tim Walz: Recognized as the 2003 Minnesota Teacher of Excellence.
Tina Liebling: Fully fund our public education system at the state level.
Tina Liebling: Free college credits via Post-Secondary Education Options.
Energy & Oil|
Jeff Johnson: Climate is changing naturally; human involvement debatable.
Tim Walz: Climate change is real and urgent.
Lori Swanson: Proceed with caution approach to solar energy gardens.
Tina Liebling: 25% renewable energy by 2025.
Jeff Johnson: Best stewards of natural resources are those who need them.
Lori Swanson: Won settlement for corporation to pay $890M for pollution.
Tina Liebling: Those who exploit resources should pay for any cleanup.
Families & Children|
Jeff Johnson: Gay "contractual unions" for hospital visits & inheritance.
Tim Walz: Full marriage equality for same-sex couples.
Lori Swanson: Find options to make childcare affordable.
Tina Liebling: High quality child care is essential for work.
Jeff Johnson: Tariffs on China negatively affect Minnesota farmers.
Tim Walz: Rash tariffs on China against interests of America's farmers.
Tim Walz: Limit corporate campaign donations, and disclose all.
Tim Walz: Remove barriers to voting.
Jeff Johnson: Government needs to give the power back to the people.
Jeff Johnson: People make better decisions on spending than government.
Lori Swanson: Fight to make campaign financing fairer & all-inclusive.
Tina Liebling: Require disclosure of state legislature perks.
Jeff Johnson: Arm trained professionals in schools.
Tim Walz: Expand background checks; ban assault-style weapons.
Jeff Johnson: Gun control laws only put the guns in the hands of criminals.
Lori Swanson: Supports variety of common sense gun safety reforms.
Rebecca Otto: Status quo on guns isn't working.
Jeff Johnson: ObamaCare was sold as reform & there was no reform in it.
Tim Walz: Single-payer system is on Minnesota's horizon.
Jeff Johnson: For multi state buying, selling insurance across state lines.
Lori Swanson: Plans to make healthcare affordable and accessible to all.
Matt Dean: Repeal MNSure; it has harmed thousands.
Tina Liebling: ObamaCare was a valiant attempt but did not go far enough.
Erin Murphy: Allow only non-profit insurers to do business in the state.
Mark Dayton: Allow only non-profit insurers to do business in the state.
Lori Swanson: Joined other AG's in fight to keep transgendered troops.
Tim Walz: Enlisted in Army National Guard at 17; served for 24 years.
Tim Walz: Suicide prevention programs & mental health for veterans.
Tim Walz: Give DREAMers a path to citizenship.
Jeff Johnson: Opposes sanctuary state and all sanctuary cities.
Lori Swanson: Joined forces to fight against Trump's zero tolerance policy.
Erin Murphy: Support driver's licenses for undocumented immigrants.
Jeff Johnson: Distinguish legal residents for getting state services.
Rebecca Otto: Support driver's licenses for undocumented workers.
Tim Walz: Helped resettle countless immigrants into this community.
Tina Liebling: America offers a promise to desperate immigrants.
Chris Coleman: Our sanctuary city law not subject to Trump executive ban.
Jeff Johnson: Minimum wage increase lessens options for young.
Tim Walz: Push back against right-to-work legislation.
Tim Walz: Supports $15 minimum wage for Minnesota.
Lori Swanson: Prioritize decent jobs that pay the bills.
Tina Liebling: Don't permit employers to pay non-sustaining wages.
Tina Liebling: Defend the right to organize and bargain collectively.
Principles & Values|
Tim Walz: Got political when students were turned away from Bush event.
Jeff Johnson: End the taxation of social security benefits.
Jeff Johnson: Trump tax cuts lower Minnesota taxes.
Tim Walz: Trump tax cuts go mostly to top 1%.
Jeff Johnson: Growth comes from lower spending and increased take-home pay.
Rebecca Otto: Fair and progressive taxes to pay for new benefits.
Tina Liebling: Progressives taxation with a 4th tier for wealthiest.
Tim Walz: Supports Net Neutrality (equal access to Internet).
Jeff Johnson: Moratorium on light rail; focus on first-class bus system.
Lori Swanson: Crucial need to repair and modernize infrastructure.
War & Peace|
Tim Walz: Served overseas in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
Welfare & Poverty|
Jeff Johnson: Goal is to have all able bodied welfare recipients working.
The above quotations are from 2018 Minnesota Gubernatorial race: debates and news coverage.
2017-18 Governors' book excerpts:
- Power Lines, by Gubernatorial candidate Jason Carter (D,GA)
- Dialogues, by Governor Jerry Brown (D,CA)
- A Return to Values:, by Gubernatorial candidate Bob Beauprez (R,CO)
- The Party's Over, by Gubernatorial candidate Charlie Crist (D,FL)
- A State of Opportunity, by Gubernatorial candidate Eliot Cutler (I,ME)
- Scorpions for Breakfast, by Gov. Jan Brewer (R,AZ)
- In Mortal Danger, by 2014 gubernatorial candidate Tom Tancredo (R,CO)
- From Power to Purpose, by Gov. Sam Brownback (R,KS)
- Leadership and Crisis, by Gov. Bobby Jindal (R,LA)
- A Reason to Believe, by Gov. Deval Patrick (D,MA)
- Governor`s Travels, by Gov. Angus King (I,ME)
- Crossroads, by Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D,NY)
- Stand For Something, by Gov. John Kasich (R,OH)
- Against the Tide, by Gov. Linc Chafee (I,RI)
- Fed Up!, by Gov. Rick Perry (R,TX)
- What A Party!, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Terry McAuliffe (D,VA)
- Last Line of Defense, by 2013 gubernatorial candidate Ken Cuccinelli (R,VA)