Alaska 2006 Governor Debate series, Former Governor Tony Knowles vs. Mayor Sarah Palin, October 25th - November 3rd, 2006
The Alaska gubernatorial race included a series of debates.
Excerpts include the following debates:
- KAKM Channel 7, moderated by public television's Michael Carey; October 25, 2006
- BP debate, moderated by KTUU News Director John Tracy; October 30, 2006
- Anchorage Rotary debate, moderated by trial lawyer Paul Davis; October 31, 2006
- Radio debate on KFQD 750 AM, moderated by radio host Dan Fagan; November 2, 2006
Click on a participant to pop-up their full list of quotations
from Alaska 2006 Governor Debate series (number of quotes indicated):
- Sarah Palin (12)
- Tony Knowles (10)
OR click on an issue category below for a subset.
Sarah Palin: Choose life, even if her own daughter were raped.
Tony Knowles: Support woman’s decision in cases of rape.
Sarah Palin: Prefers term “anti-rural” to “anti-Native”.
Sarah Palin: Special legislative session on same-sex health benefits.
Tony Knowles: No special legislative session on same-sex health benefits.
Sarah Palin: Don’t push school boards on creationism but allow discussion.
Sarah Palin: I believe we have a creator; and many theories of evolution.
Tony Knowles: Keep alternatives to evolution out of classrooms.
Tony Knowles: No politics in science; no creationism in schools.
Energy & Oil|
Tony Knowles: Qualified support of BP-Arco merger.
Sarah Palin: Met with producers and employee groups for pipeline deal.
Tony Knowles: Include producers & all proposals in negotiating pipeline.
Sarah Palin: Attended numerous debates & did not avoid any unnecessarily.
Principles & Values|
Sarah Palin: Decries “politics as usual” of attacking opponents.
Tony Knowles: Raise the level of conversation in political debates.
Sarah Palin: Fight for freedom of religion and freedom of expression.
Tony Knowles: Religious political beliefs are part of freedom of speech.
War & Peace|
Sarah Palin: We have not been attacked since 2001; so support our troops.
Sarah Palin: I support the mission of our troops in Iraq.
Sarah Palin: Our troops in Iraq keep us safe at home.
Tony Knowles: We need a different strategy for this war.
Tony Knowles: Reasons given for going to war were not justified.
The above quotations are from Alaska 2006 Governor Debate series, Former Governor Tony Knowles vs. Mayor Sarah Palin, October 25th - November 3rd, 2006.
Gov. Sarah Palin's documents & debates:
- Palin vs. Michele Bachmann On the Issues, by Jesse Gordon, Jan. 2012
- The Rogue, by Joe McGinnis, Oct. 2011
- America By Heart, by Sarah Palin, Nov. 23, 2010
- Going Rogue, by Sarah Palin, Nov. 17, 2009
- The Faith & Values of Sarah Palin, by Stephen Mansfield, Oct, 2010
- V.P. debate, Washington U. in St. Louis, Oct. 2, 2008
- Wasilla resident's view: Palin's mayoral constituent
- Sean Hannity interview: on Fox News "Hannity & Colmes", Sept. 2008
- Katie Couric interview: on CBS News, Sept. 2008
- Republican Convention, Sep. 2-4, 2008
- Gubernatorial documents
: Palin's resolutions and proclamations
- New Energy for Alaska, 2006 campaign booklet
- Debate against Gov. Tony Knowles
, 2006 general election
- 2006 Candidate Profiles, in Anchorage Daily News